Jul 25, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
The last wing forward that Oklahoma State landed from Dallas worked out pretty well in his first college basketball season last year, LeBryan Nash. A member of Nash’s former club program, the Dallas Mustangs, popped as the first member of the Cowboys’ 2013 class, 6-6 Leyton Hammonds.
While Hammonds can’t match the ballyhoo or substantial talent level of Nash, he is a strong start for coach Travis Ford and his staff. The Dallas Mustangs perennially put out multiple high-major players every year (Missouri has already landed Zach Coleman from this year’s team), and it’s a pipeline worth staying relevant to Oklahoma State.
The Cowboys have had plenty of success in recent memory on the recruiting trail in the state to their south, landing teammates Phil Forte and Marcus Smart as incoming freshmen next season. Both were Dallas-area stars at Flower Mound Marcus, and Smart in particular is a top-15 talent in the 2012 class. Both starred for the Texas Assault during the spring and summer.
The smooth and skilled Hammonds can end up as a good player in Stillwater, and ironically could replace Nash if he jumps to the NBA after next season. His first contribution is likely to be on the defensive end, with offense to come later as he learns his role. Hammonds is an under-the-radar wing with upside, and one that can be solid in the Big 12.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona