Jul 26, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Louis Orr’s Bowling Green Falcons added a transfer on Thursday, as it was officially announced by the school that former Iona center Josh Gomez will attend the school.
Gomez, a 6-10 Rice (NY) High product, was Iona’s lone freshman last season and didn’t get much playing time as a result.
Gomez played in 16 games last season, averaging just 3.0 minutes and 0.6 points per game.
His season high for minutes played was 13, which came in Iona’s stunning 75-72 loss to Manhattan (the Jaspers trailed by 18 with just under 7 minutes remaining) on January 12.
“Josh comes from a great high school program at the former Rice High School and he added experience playing on a veteran Iona team last year,” Bowling Green head coach Louis Orr said in a statement released by the school.
“He has a strong work ethic and having him for three years is a big plus. I know the pedigree and passion of young men who come from New York City and he is also a good student and a quality person.
“On the floor, he will give us length and size in the front court. He can stretch the defense with his outside shooting as well as being able to score in the post. He is a mobile post player who blocks shots and runs the court well. ”
Bowling Green returns three starters from a team that went 16-16 (9-7 MAC) last season, with senior forward A’uston Calhoun being the leading scorer.
Gomez will likely battle Calhoun on a daily basis this winter as he prepares for his debut in 2013, as he’ll sit out this season per NCAA transfer rules.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)