Jul 26, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Louis Orr’s Bowling Green Falcons added a transfer on Thursday, as it was officially announced by the school that former Iona center Josh Gomez will attend the school.
Gomez, a 6-10 Rice (NY) High product, was Iona’s lone freshman last season and didn’t get much playing time as a result.
Gomez played in 16 games last season, averaging just 3.0 minutes and 0.6 points per game.
His season high for minutes played was 13, which came in Iona’s stunning 75-72 loss to Manhattan (the Jaspers trailed by 18 with just under 7 minutes remaining) on January 12.
“Josh comes from a great high school program at the former Rice High School and he added experience playing on a veteran Iona team last year,” Bowling Green head coach Louis Orr said in a statement released by the school.
“He has a strong work ethic and having him for three years is a big plus. I know the pedigree and passion of young men who come from New York City and he is also a good student and a quality person.
“On the floor, he will give us length and size in the front court. He can stretch the defense with his outside shooting as well as being able to score in the post. He is a mobile post player who blocks shots and runs the court well. ”
Bowling Green returns three starters from a team that went 16-16 (9-7 MAC) last season, with senior forward A’uston Calhoun being the leading scorer.
Gomez will likely battle Calhoun on a daily basis this winter as he prepares for his debut in 2013, as he’ll sit out this season per NCAA transfer rules.
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)