Jul 26, 2012, 8:25 PM EST
Louis Orr’s Bowling Green Falcons added a transfer on Thursday, as it was officially announced by the school that former Iona center Josh Gomez will attend the school.
Gomez, a 6-10 Rice (NY) High product, was Iona’s lone freshman last season and didn’t get much playing time as a result.
Gomez played in 16 games last season, averaging just 3.0 minutes and 0.6 points per game.
His season high for minutes played was 13, which came in Iona’s stunning 75-72 loss to Manhattan (the Jaspers trailed by 18 with just under 7 minutes remaining) on January 12.
“Josh comes from a great high school program at the former Rice High School and he added experience playing on a veteran Iona team last year,” Bowling Green head coach Louis Orr said in a statement released by the school.
“He has a strong work ethic and having him for three years is a big plus. I know the pedigree and passion of young men who come from New York City and he is also a good student and a quality person.
“On the floor, he will give us length and size in the front court. He can stretch the defense with his outside shooting as well as being able to score in the post. He is a mobile post player who blocks shots and runs the court well. ”
Bowling Green returns three starters from a team that went 16-16 (9-7 MAC) last season, with senior forward A’uston Calhoun being the leading scorer.
Gomez will likely battle Calhoun on a daily basis this winter as he prepares for his debut in 2013, as he’ll sit out this season per NCAA transfer rules.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)