Jul 26, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Louis Orr’s Bowling Green Falcons added a transfer on Thursday, as it was officially announced by the school that former Iona center Josh Gomez will attend the school.
Gomez, a 6-10 Rice (NY) High product, was Iona’s lone freshman last season and didn’t get much playing time as a result.
Gomez played in 16 games last season, averaging just 3.0 minutes and 0.6 points per game.
His season high for minutes played was 13, which came in Iona’s stunning 75-72 loss to Manhattan (the Jaspers trailed by 18 with just under 7 minutes remaining) on January 12.
“Josh comes from a great high school program at the former Rice High School and he added experience playing on a veteran Iona team last year,” Bowling Green head coach Louis Orr said in a statement released by the school.
“He has a strong work ethic and having him for three years is a big plus. I know the pedigree and passion of young men who come from New York City and he is also a good student and a quality person.
“On the floor, he will give us length and size in the front court. He can stretch the defense with his outside shooting as well as being able to score in the post. He is a mobile post player who blocks shots and runs the court well. ”
Bowling Green returns three starters from a team that went 16-16 (9-7 MAC) last season, with senior forward A’uston Calhoun being the leading scorer.
Gomez will likely battle Calhoun on a daily basis this winter as he prepares for his debut in 2013, as he’ll sit out this season per NCAA transfer rules.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)