Jul 26, 2012, 11:50 PM EDT
Haynes first attended UTEP but never played there before transferring to Indian Hills, where he averaged 7.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game last season.
“We’re shocked and deeply saddened by this news,” Peery said to Scott Jackson of the Ottumwa Courier. “He was such a great kid and great member of our team. He was a popular guy who wore his emotion on his sleeve and absoultely loved being a part of this family.
“Michael was a great friend to all his teammates and a great kid overall. He’ll truly be missed.”
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
Michael Haynes, 22, was shot dead while trying to break up a fight over a stolen necklace near his home, said his cousin Kandice Blouin, 25.
Police said he was shot in the wrist, chest and lower back about 5:10 p.m. in the 11600 block of South Vincennes Avenue. Acquaintances dropped him off at MetroSouth Medical Center in Blue Island, where he was declared dead about 6:25 p.m., authorities said.
Blouin said several men were shoving each other when Haynes pushed the shooter, who pulled out a gun and shot him.
“The Iona family is devastated with the news on Michael’s passing,” said Iona head coach Tim Cluess in a statement released by the school.
“His passion, energy and excitement for his opportunity this year makes this tragedy even more upsetting. Our sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
Photo credit: Chicago Sun-Times
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)