Jul 26, 2012, 11:50 PM EST
Haynes first attended UTEP but never played there before transferring to Indian Hills, where he averaged 7.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game last season.
“We’re shocked and deeply saddened by this news,” Peery said to Scott Jackson of the Ottumwa Courier. “He was such a great kid and great member of our team. He was a popular guy who wore his emotion on his sleeve and absoultely loved being a part of this family.
“Michael was a great friend to all his teammates and a great kid overall. He’ll truly be missed.”
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
Michael Haynes, 22, was shot dead while trying to break up a fight over a stolen necklace near his home, said his cousin Kandice Blouin, 25.
Police said he was shot in the wrist, chest and lower back about 5:10 p.m. in the 11600 block of South Vincennes Avenue. Acquaintances dropped him off at MetroSouth Medical Center in Blue Island, where he was declared dead about 6:25 p.m., authorities said.
Blouin said several men were shoving each other when Haynes pushed the shooter, who pulled out a gun and shot him.
“The Iona family is devastated with the news on Michael’s passing,” said Iona head coach Tim Cluess in a statement released by the school.
“His passion, energy and excitement for his opportunity this year makes this tragedy even more upsetting. Our sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
Photo credit: Chicago Sun-Times
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)