Jul 26, 2012, 11:50 PM EDT
Haynes first attended UTEP but never played there before transferring to Indian Hills, where he averaged 7.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game last season.
“We’re shocked and deeply saddened by this news,” Peery said to Scott Jackson of the Ottumwa Courier. “He was such a great kid and great member of our team. He was a popular guy who wore his emotion on his sleeve and absoultely loved being a part of this family.
“Michael was a great friend to all his teammates and a great kid overall. He’ll truly be missed.”
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
Michael Haynes, 22, was shot dead while trying to break up a fight over a stolen necklace near his home, said his cousin Kandice Blouin, 25.
Police said he was shot in the wrist, chest and lower back about 5:10 p.m. in the 11600 block of South Vincennes Avenue. Acquaintances dropped him off at MetroSouth Medical Center in Blue Island, where he was declared dead about 6:25 p.m., authorities said.
Blouin said several men were shoving each other when Haynes pushed the shooter, who pulled out a gun and shot him.
“The Iona family is devastated with the news on Michael’s passing,” said Iona head coach Tim Cluess in a statement released by the school.
“His passion, energy and excitement for his opportunity this year makes this tragedy even more upsetting. Our sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
Photo credit: Chicago Sun-Times
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)