Jul 26, 2012, 11:50 PM EDT
Haynes first attended UTEP but never played there before transferring to Indian Hills, where he averaged 7.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game last season.
“We’re shocked and deeply saddened by this news,” Peery said to Scott Jackson of the Ottumwa Courier. “He was such a great kid and great member of our team. He was a popular guy who wore his emotion on his sleeve and absoultely loved being a part of this family.
“Michael was a great friend to all his teammates and a great kid overall. He’ll truly be missed.”
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
Michael Haynes, 22, was shot dead while trying to break up a fight over a stolen necklace near his home, said his cousin Kandice Blouin, 25.
Police said he was shot in the wrist, chest and lower back about 5:10 p.m. in the 11600 block of South Vincennes Avenue. Acquaintances dropped him off at MetroSouth Medical Center in Blue Island, where he was declared dead about 6:25 p.m., authorities said.
Blouin said several men were shoving each other when Haynes pushed the shooter, who pulled out a gun and shot him.
“The Iona family is devastated with the news on Michael’s passing,” said Iona head coach Tim Cluess in a statement released by the school.
“His passion, energy and excitement for his opportunity this year makes this tragedy even more upsetting. Our sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
Photo credit: Chicago Sun-Times
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)