Jul 26, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
New Mississippi State head coach Rick Ray has had a setback on the court with an injury to Jacoby Davis, and now he must deal with an incident off the court.
Craig Sword, a 6-3 freshman guard for MSU, was arrested last weekend for misdemeanor possession of a BB gun on a educational property, according Matt Stevens of The Dispatch.
The gun was reportedly found in Sword’s dorm room, prompting campus police to make an arrest. Sword was on campus and enrolled in the second semester of summer school at MSU.
“I am aware of the situation involving Craig bringing a BB gun into the dorm, which is a misdemeanor,” Ray said in a statement Wednesday, as reported by The Dispatch.
“Craig did not point it at anyone or towards anyone,” he went on to say. “Craig realizes the severity of his actions, is extremely remorseful and fully understands that he must be held accountable. There will be disciplinary action carried out once I have all the facts and details.”
Mississippi State is in the midst of a transition to its time under Ray, who is taking over for the retired Rick Stansbury. The Bulldogs are also looking to compensate for the loss of four of their biggest pieces from last season—Dee Bost, Rodney Hood, Arnett Moultrie, and Renardo Sidney.
Ray reportedly maintains that Sword’s punishment will be handled in-house by the time the 2012-13 season begins.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte