Jul 26, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Today marks the five-year anniversary of Skip Prosser’s death.
Plenty of words have been written — like this piece by Andy Katz from last summer or this remembrance from two years after his passing — about Skip, but really all you need to know about this man is that there are now three awards given in his name.
The ACC has a Skip Prosser Award given to the top scholar-athlete, which undoubtedly is a result of Prosser’s penchant for quoting authors like Thomas Paine and his habit of taking classes with his players in the spring. (He’d even write the final paper.) CollegeInsider.com gives out a Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award, which was won by his protege, Chris Mack, in 2011. The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association honors fallen graduates with a Skip Prosser Achievement Award.
You’ll see plenty of stories about Prosser today and read plenty of great things said by the people that knew him best.
But there’s really only one thing you need to know about him: in a profession that can make used-car salesmen look trustworthy, where ego-driven jealousy is rampant, you aren’t going to find many people with a negative word to say about Skip Prosser.
And that says a lot more than the best written story.
(Photo credit: Getty Images)
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)