Jul 26, 2012, 9:50 AM EST
Today marks the five-year anniversary of Skip Prosser’s death.
Plenty of words have been written — like this piece by Andy Katz from last summer or this remembrance from two years after his passing — about Skip, but really all you need to know about this man is that there are now three awards given in his name.
The ACC has a Skip Prosser Award given to the top scholar-athlete, which undoubtedly is a result of Prosser’s penchant for quoting authors like Thomas Paine and his habit of taking classes with his players in the spring. (He’d even write the final paper.) CollegeInsider.com gives out a Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award, which was won by his protege, Chris Mack, in 2011. The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association honors fallen graduates with a Skip Prosser Achievement Award.
You’ll see plenty of stories about Prosser today and read plenty of great things said by the people that knew him best.
But there’s really only one thing you need to know about him: in a profession that can make used-car salesmen look trustworthy, where ego-driven jealousy is rampant, you aren’t going to find many people with a negative word to say about Skip Prosser.
And that says a lot more than the best written story.
(Photo credit: Getty Images)
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)