Jul 26, 2012, 9:50 AM EST
Today marks the five-year anniversary of Skip Prosser’s death.
Plenty of words have been written — like this piece by Andy Katz from last summer or this remembrance from two years after his passing — about Skip, but really all you need to know about this man is that there are now three awards given in his name.
The ACC has a Skip Prosser Award given to the top scholar-athlete, which undoubtedly is a result of Prosser’s penchant for quoting authors like Thomas Paine and his habit of taking classes with his players in the spring. (He’d even write the final paper.) CollegeInsider.com gives out a Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award, which was won by his protege, Chris Mack, in 2011. The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association honors fallen graduates with a Skip Prosser Achievement Award.
You’ll see plenty of stories about Prosser today and read plenty of great things said by the people that knew him best.
But there’s really only one thing you need to know about him: in a profession that can make used-car salesmen look trustworthy, where ego-driven jealousy is rampant, you aren’t going to find many people with a negative word to say about Skip Prosser.
And that says a lot more than the best written story.
(Photo credit: Getty Images)
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)