Jul 26, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Today marks the five-year anniversary of Skip Prosser’s death.
Plenty of words have been written — like this piece by Andy Katz from last summer or this remembrance from two years after his passing — about Skip, but really all you need to know about this man is that there are now three awards given in his name.
The ACC has a Skip Prosser Award given to the top scholar-athlete, which undoubtedly is a result of Prosser’s penchant for quoting authors like Thomas Paine and his habit of taking classes with his players in the spring. (He’d even write the final paper.) CollegeInsider.com gives out a Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award, which was won by his protege, Chris Mack, in 2011. The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association honors fallen graduates with a Skip Prosser Achievement Award.
You’ll see plenty of stories about Prosser today and read plenty of great things said by the people that knew him best.
But there’s really only one thing you need to know about him: in a profession that can make used-car salesmen look trustworthy, where ego-driven jealousy is rampant, you aren’t going to find many people with a negative word to say about Skip Prosser.
And that says a lot more than the best written story.
(Photo credit: Getty Images)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte