Jul 26, 2012, 9:50 AM EST
Today marks the five-year anniversary of Skip Prosser’s death.
Plenty of words have been written — like this piece by Andy Katz from last summer or this remembrance from two years after his passing — about Skip, but really all you need to know about this man is that there are now three awards given in his name.
The ACC has a Skip Prosser Award given to the top scholar-athlete, which undoubtedly is a result of Prosser’s penchant for quoting authors like Thomas Paine and his habit of taking classes with his players in the spring. (He’d even write the final paper.) CollegeInsider.com gives out a Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award, which was won by his protege, Chris Mack, in 2011. The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association honors fallen graduates with a Skip Prosser Achievement Award.
You’ll see plenty of stories about Prosser today and read plenty of great things said by the people that knew him best.
But there’s really only one thing you need to know about him: in a profession that can make used-car salesmen look trustworthy, where ego-driven jealousy is rampant, you aren’t going to find many people with a negative word to say about Skip Prosser.
And that says a lot more than the best written story.
(Photo credit: Getty Images)
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)