Jul 28, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
NEW YORK, N.Y.—After a strong spring on the AAU circuit, then-Temple commit Josh Brown of St. Anthony (N.J.) reopened his recruitment to explore other options and now he is looking to narrow his list of schools and make a decision, he told NBCSports.com Saturday.
“I wanted to find the place that was the right fit for me in the future,” he said. “I wanted to visit a couple more schools because that was the only school I visited, Temple.
“I wanted to take a couple more visits and compare other schools to Temple.”
Brown once called Temple his “dream school,” and with the Owls moving to the Big East in 2013, he would be competing in a high-major conference upon entering school.
He lists a mix of high-major and mid-major schools giving him interest at this point, including Nebraska, USC, Providence, Illinois, Rhode Island, Richmond, and Xavier. He calls that group of seven, along with Temple, his “main schools.”
“By September I’m going to cut my list to five so I can take official visits,” he said. “And I’m definitely going to make my decision before the high school season.”
As he continues to weigh his options, he knows what he is looking for from a future college program.
“I like open court and pick-and-roll, things that helps guards thrive,” he said. “I like the open court. Also, when I take the visit, I want to be able to see myself fitting in, like, right away.”
Brown returns to powerhouse St. Anthony (N.J.) after the Friars won a state championship in 2011-12. He and fellow guard Hallice Cooke become the centerpieces after star Kyle Anderson graduated and now moves on to UCLA.
“We just want to win another state championship,” Brown said. “We want to get better every day and winning a state championship.”
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit