Jul 29, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
Kahlil Dukes, a 5-11 guard from Hartford, Conn., has committed to USC, multiple outlets are now reporting.
Dukes reportedly impressed scouts at the adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas this week, scoring 48 points in one game and 42 more in another. Playing for the Connecticut Basketball Club, Dukes was paired in the backcourt with Jared Wilson-Frame, another solid guard prospect.
Though smaller in stature, Dukes is quick and aggressive at getting to the basket and can distribute to his open teammates off of the drive.
He had interest from a number of mostly mid-major schools, including Drexel, FIU, Loyola-Marymount, Ohio, and UTEP.
For USC coach Kevin O’Neill, Dukes is the first to commit to the Trojans from the Class of 2013. This comes after USC brought in three players from the Class of 2012, led by forward Strahinja Gavrilovic.
USC struggled last season, going 6-26, including 1-17 in the Pac-12. They finished 338th in the nation in assists last season with 9.5 per game, something that Dukes could help to improve on when he steps on campus in 2013.
For the 2012-13 season, the Trojans welcome back guard Maurice Jones, who led the team in scoring and assists last season.
Photo Credit: Hartford Courant
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)