Jul 30, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
John Calipari has, apparently, gotten sick of all the complaining about the way he builds his Kentucky team’s schedule.
“Why aren’t you playing Indiana?”
“Why aren’t you playing North Carolina?”
Why aren’t you playing Kansas and Louisville, too?”
But Cal has one simple question for the rest of the nation: why aren’t those teams playing each other?
That’s what sits at the core of his latest proposal, which was lined out by Andy Katz Monday morning. His plan is for each of Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, UNC and Indiana to play the other four teams annually. Two home games. Two road games. Every year. It’s daunting, especially when you consider that these programs will likely be playing in early-season events — the Maui Invitational, the Carrier Classic, the Jimmy V Classic, what have you — before they begin conference play.
And that’s one of the reasons that Cal is making this proposal: he doesn’t think the other teams will ever agree to it. But now that it is out there, the focus can shift else where. It’s no longer his fault that every possible marquee matchup doesn’t take place.
I’ll leave you with one final point: MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!
Anyhow, anyway, anywhere, I don’t care. You know how awesome the Champion’s Classic is? This would be double that and played in on campus venues.
So I repeat: MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)