Jul 30, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
John Calipari has, apparently, gotten sick of all the complaining about the way he builds his Kentucky team’s schedule.
“Why aren’t you playing Indiana?”
“Why aren’t you playing North Carolina?”
Why aren’t you playing Kansas and Louisville, too?”
But Cal has one simple question for the rest of the nation: why aren’t those teams playing each other?
That’s what sits at the core of his latest proposal, which was lined out by Andy Katz Monday morning. His plan is for each of Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, UNC and Indiana to play the other four teams annually. Two home games. Two road games. Every year. It’s daunting, especially when you consider that these programs will likely be playing in early-season events — the Maui Invitational, the Carrier Classic, the Jimmy V Classic, what have you — before they begin conference play.
And that’s one of the reasons that Cal is making this proposal: he doesn’t think the other teams will ever agree to it. But now that it is out there, the focus can shift else where. It’s no longer his fault that every possible marquee matchup doesn’t take place.
I’ll leave you with one final point: MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!
Anyhow, anyway, anywhere, I don’t care. You know how awesome the Champion’s Classic is? This would be double that and played in on campus venues.
So I repeat: MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)