Jul 30, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
One of the easiest ways to tell that it is late July and quickly bearing down on August is to take a peak at the kind of posts that are being written across the college basketball blogosphere.
And as Drew Cannon proved to us over at KenPom’s blog, times are getting tough when we’re forced to come up with new stats to determine who is a good three-point shooter.
I joke, but Drew actually put in some good work. His goal was to determine who the best three-point shooter in the country is while factoring in volume of attempts, the percentage of those attempts that went in, and the difficulty of the schedule that was played. For example, Joe Ragland of Wichita State was the nation’s second-best three-point shooter with more than 100 attempts at just over 50% (59-117), but was he really a more dangerous shooter than John Jenkins of Vanderbilt, who knocked down 44% of his threes while taking more than 300?
So Drew created a stat called Three-Point Score, or 3PS. I’ll save you the boring math, but he found that High Point’s Nick Barbour was the nation’s best three-point shooter while Jenkins, who was second overall, was the best shooter once schedule difficulty was factored in. Here’s the top ten:
1. John Jenkins, Vanderbilt (1.108)
2. Kenny Boynton, Florida (1.100)
3. Brady Heslip, Baylor (1.097)
4. Keiton Page, Oklahoma State (1.088)
5. John Shurna, Northwestern (1.087)
6. Jordan Hulls, Indiana (1.084)
7. Ryne Smith, Purdue (1.083)
8. Doron Lamb, Kentucky (1.077)
9. Darius Johnson-Odom, Marquette (1.073)
10. Kam Cerroni, Green Bay (1.072)
That’s not bad.
Drew’s namesake, Isaiah Canaan of Murray State, was crushed by his team’s weak schedule. I don’t care what the stats say, there was no question whatsoever that he was one of the nation’s ten best shooters last season.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)