Jul 31, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Both the football and basketball programs at the University of Central Florida have been sentenced to one-year postseason bans by the NCAA, Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com is reporting.
The ban comes in addition to the self-imposed penalties that Central Florida placed upon itself, among them a three-game suspension for head coach Donnie Jones, a reduction in scholarships and recruiting days, and vacated wins from 2008-2011.
The ruling came as a result of an existing relationship between Kenneth Caldwell, who the deemed to have ties to a sports agency, and coaches in both football and basketball.
Goodman laid out the major factors for the NCAA’s ruling:
“1) Involvement with an individual associated with a prospect
2) A significant competitive advantage resulted
3) The violations reflect a lack of institutional control
4) The institution is a repeat violator”
As the NCAA explained it, Caldwell allegedly tried to steer players to UCF, though former guard AJ Rompza is reportedly the only player to go on to play for the Knights.
What remains for Jones is a three-year show cause order, meaning that if he were to move to another institution, the penalties he has yet to serve would follow him. He also will not be allowed to go out on the recruiting trail for next July’s live period.
Central Florida is playing in its final season in Conference USA, set to move to the Big East in 2013-14. The Knights finished 22-11, including 10-6 in conference play. They lost in the first round of the NIT to Drexel.
To read Goodman’s full report, click here.
- Report: Rutgers AD inflicted “mental cruelty” in her own coaching days 0
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?