Jul 31, 2012, 4:24 PM EDT
I like Frank Martin.
I think the demanding and terrifyingly intense manner in which he coaches is valuable in college basketball today. While I, personally, would probably soil myself if forced to come face-to-glare with Martin after I committed a turnover or missed a defensive rotation, I find his facial expressions quite amusing with the buffer of a TV screen.
I also absolutely love his devotion to his players. He was brought to tears talking about what happened with Jamar Samuels — his disagreement with the AD’s decision to suspend Samuels for his final collegiate game was ultimately a major factor in his decision to leave Kansas State — in the press conference after the game. While I didn’t agree with his sentiment after Kansas State’s loss to Wisconsin in the 2011 NCAA tournament, I loved that he had a crying Jacob Pullen’s back.
One thing I cannot get on board with, however: Martin’s love for Pitbull:
All kidding aside, it is probably a good thing that Martin is in touch enough with today’s music to know who Pitbull is. I wonder who else he listens to? Does he make his players Spotify playlists for workouts? Did he cop the Nas’ new album or the new Childish Gambino mixtape? I wonder who he sides with in the Young Money, Cash Money vs. G.O.O.D Music beef?
For what it’s worth, I think the internet hatred for Pitbull is a little much. Yeah, he sold out, but would you do any different with that kind of money getting thrown at you? He’s also clearly a good sport, seeing as he actually went to Alaska for that promotional event.
And — I’ll say it because it needs to be said — Pitbull was really good back in the day. I’m not afraid to admit that. He had a couple of songs solidly within the party rotation when I was in college.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona