Jul 31, 2012, 9:39 AM EST
ESPN may be losing college basketball analyst Doug Gottlieb to CBS, but they moved quickly to replace him, hiring former coaches Bruce Pearl and Seth Greenberg, the network announced Monday.
Pearl, formerly at Tennessee before being fired in 2011, worked with Sirius XM Radio as a college basketball analyst this past season.
He was at the center of an NCAA investigation that ultimately led to his firing when it was found that he illegally hosted now-Ohio State point guard Aaron Craft and his family to a cookout while on a visit. He later lied to the NCAA about the incident.
During his time with the Volunteers, he finished with a record of 145-61, having made six NCAA tournament appearances, including two Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight.
Greenberg was fired from his head coaching position at Virginia Tech this past season after finishing 15-16, including 4-12 in the ACC. He coached the Hokies for nine seasons, making one NCAA tournament appearance, though seeming to be a perennial bubble team that fell on the wrong side of the line and into the NIT.
Both, in combination, will try to replace what Gottlieb brought to the network, now that he is leaving for CBS, but it won’t be an easy task.
The fact that Pearl spent last season on radio should make the transition more comfortable, and Greenberg was brought on by the network last season as a guest analyst during the NCAA tournament.
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)