Aug 1, 2012, 11:59 PM EST
Last September, the final nail in Missouri’s coffin was supposed to be the injury to Laurence Bowers.
In mid-September, the versatile, 6-foot-8 forward tore his ACL, leaving a Missouri team that didn’t have any size, a roster that was more concerned with stats than wins, and a coach that no one had any faith in.
The Tiger’s season is one of the most incredible stories of the 2011-2012 season — they won 30 games despite starting a shooting guard at the four, entertained everyone with their ability to spread the floor and shoot, and won the Big 12 tournament — but all that success didn’t change the fact that Bowers was still laid up with a busted knee.
On Wednesday, Bowers finally made his return to the court, telling me that he was cleared for full-contact practice. Bowers says he is still only about 90-95% and that his explosiveness and agility is not yet where it needs to be, but that’s not a huge problem yet; the season is still three months away.
Bowers isn’t the only potential star to make a return to the court on Wednesday.
USC’s Jio Fontan also has made it all the way back from an ACL tear and has been cleared for full-contact. Fontan tore his ACL on a team trip to Brazil, setting the tone for what was an incredibly injury-plagued season for the Trojans.
With Fontan, hopefully back to full strength by the time the season starts, joining Maurice Jones, a healthy Dewayne Dedmon and a slew of talented transfers, Kevin O’Neill looks like he has the offensive firepower necessary to make his staunchly defensive team win quite a few games.
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)