Aug 1, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
RIP Tech XX.
The Louisiana Tech mascot, an adorable English bulldog, had been missing since the weekend when a worker at the animal clinic let him outside to go to the bathroom.
The news is all bad. Tech XX suffered heat stroke and passed away on Sunday night when he was left outside in the Louisiana heat for too long. English bulldogs aren’t built for summers in the bayou, and unfortunately one employee learned that the hard way.
Louisiana Tech released a statement on the matter on their official facebook page.
From Dr. Patrick Sexton, Tech XX’s caretaker:
Regretfully, I learned this morning that through negligence of an employee, Tech XX was left outside too long on Sunday evening and passed away from a heat stroke. That employee unfortunately chose to handle it the wrong way and attempted to cover it up. Due to this negligence, the employee is no longer employed by Sexton Animal Health Center.My family, my staff and I are extremely upset at this tragic turn of events as I know the entire Louisiana Tech Family is as well. Tech XX was a member of our immediate family and a daily part of our lives for the past four years. We are devastated over the circumstances of his passing and there will be a large void in our hearts for some time to come. As with any family member, we will spend considerable time grieving his passing.
And from the school:
Louisiana Tech University was saddened to learn of Tech XX’s passing this past Sunday evening. He will be remembered for being a fan favorite and a symbol of the spirit of Louisiana Tech.
Since becoming our official mascot in 2008, Tech XX received superior care and a loving home from Dr. Patrick Sexton and, despite the unfortunate circumstances of the past few days, we are grateful for all he and his family have done for our beloved mascot.
Tech XX was a cherished member of the Louisiana Tech Family and, together, we will all grieve his passing.
So, so sad.
We’ve all lost pets at some point in our lives, so we all know what the Sexton family — and the Louisiana Tech community — is going through.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five (2)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- Throwback Thursday: Juan Dixon and company win Maryland’s lone national title (2)
- Former Oklahoma State guard suing university, head coach Travis Ford (2)
- Colorado State finds difficulty scheduling good non-conference games (1)