Aug 1, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Louisville added Montrezl Harrell to bolster their frontcourt and the Cardinals have now added even more size, securing the signature of 6-10 center Mangok Mathiang from IMG Academy (Fla.), according to the Louisville Courier-Journal.
Mathiang, a member of the Class of 2012 and native of Sudan, averaged 12 points, 10 rebounds, and four blocks per game last season for IMG. Despite that, though, he may reportedly run into some eligibility issues with the NCAA.
“We think there’s some things we’ve got to take care of, but he’ll be there when school starts,” his high school coach, Loren Jackson, told the paper.
This late signing was made possible because 2012 commit Terry Rozier has decided to do a prep year at Hargrave Military Academy (Va.), opening up a scholarship for Pitino to use.
Before signing with Louisville, he was reportedly garnering interest from Kansas State, Georgia, Central Michigan, Auburn and Mississippi State, according to the paper.
The Cardinals are coming off a season in which they finished 30-10, including 10-8 in the Big East. Coach Rick Pitino led his team to the Final Four, where they fell to the eventual national champion Kentucky Wildcats.
For 2012-13, he returns three of the most important pieces from last year’s team, Peyton Siva, Chane Behanan, and Gorgui Dieng, along with guard Russ Smith. The aforementioned Harrell and now Mathiang, if he qualifies, will add depth.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months