Aug 2, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Mike Davis, formerly the head coach at Indiana and most recently serving as the head coach at UAB, has been hired to take over the same position at Texas Southern on an interim basis, KRIV-TV in Houston is reporting.
Davis takes over for Tony Harvey, who resigned last month.
“It’s a great opportunity for me to get back into coaching,” Davis told KRIV-TV. “I’ve researched Texas Southern’s program.
“I think Harvey left some real good players there. They had a good program and it’s one of the better jobs in the [SWAC] conference, and I’m excited to get back working and teaching.”
Davis led Indiana to the Final Four and national title game in 2002 and was named the Conference USA Coach of the Year in 2010-11 while at UAB. This past season with the Blazers, his team finished 15-16, including 9-7 in the C-USA.
He was fired in March after six seasons with the program.
As for Texas Southern, the Tigers finished 15-18. Harvey resigned from his position for personal reasons.
“I’m great with [being hired on an interim basis],” Davis told the station. “I’m excited just to get back on the floor.
“I love coaching, love teaching. I love development of young men. I’m just happy that Charles is giving me this opportunity.”
Davis is relatively high-profile for a coach moving to the SWAC, having participated in five NCAA tournaments and four NITs.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)