Aug 2, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Mike Davis, formerly the head coach at Indiana and most recently serving as the head coach at UAB, has been hired to take over the same position at Texas Southern on an interim basis, KRIV-TV in Houston is reporting.
Davis takes over for Tony Harvey, who resigned last month.
“It’s a great opportunity for me to get back into coaching,” Davis told KRIV-TV. “I’ve researched Texas Southern’s program.
“I think Harvey left some real good players there. They had a good program and it’s one of the better jobs in the [SWAC] conference, and I’m excited to get back working and teaching.”
Davis led Indiana to the Final Four and national title game in 2002 and was named the Conference USA Coach of the Year in 2010-11 while at UAB. This past season with the Blazers, his team finished 15-16, including 9-7 in the C-USA.
He was fired in March after six seasons with the program.
As for Texas Southern, the Tigers finished 15-18. Harvey resigned from his position for personal reasons.
“I’m great with [being hired on an interim basis],” Davis told the station. “I’m excited just to get back on the floor.
“I love coaching, love teaching. I love development of young men. I’m just happy that Charles is giving me this opportunity.”
Davis is relatively high-profile for a coach moving to the SWAC, having participated in five NCAA tournaments and four NITs.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)