Aug 2, 2012, 3:38 PM EST
Mike Davis, formerly the head coach at Indiana and most recently serving as the head coach at UAB, has been hired to take over the same position at Texas Southern on an interim basis, KRIV-TV in Houston is reporting.
Davis takes over for Tony Harvey, who resigned last month.
“It’s a great opportunity for me to get back into coaching,” Davis told KRIV-TV. “I’ve researched Texas Southern’s program.
“I think Harvey left some real good players there. They had a good program and it’s one of the better jobs in the [SWAC] conference, and I’m excited to get back working and teaching.”
Davis led Indiana to the Final Four and national title game in 2002 and was named the Conference USA Coach of the Year in 2010-11 while at UAB. This past season with the Blazers, his team finished 15-16, including 9-7 in the C-USA.
He was fired in March after six seasons with the program.
As for Texas Southern, the Tigers finished 15-18. Harvey resigned from his position for personal reasons.
“I’m great with [being hired on an interim basis],” Davis told the station. “I’m excited just to get back on the floor.
“I love coaching, love teaching. I love development of young men. I’m just happy that Charles is giving me this opportunity.”
Davis is relatively high-profile for a coach moving to the SWAC, having participated in five NCAA tournaments and four NITs.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)