Aug 2, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Mike Davis, formerly the head coach at Indiana and most recently serving as the head coach at UAB, has been hired to take over the same position at Texas Southern on an interim basis, KRIV-TV in Houston is reporting.
Davis takes over for Tony Harvey, who resigned last month.
“It’s a great opportunity for me to get back into coaching,” Davis told KRIV-TV. “I’ve researched Texas Southern’s program.
“I think Harvey left some real good players there. They had a good program and it’s one of the better jobs in the [SWAC] conference, and I’m excited to get back working and teaching.”
Davis led Indiana to the Final Four and national title game in 2002 and was named the Conference USA Coach of the Year in 2010-11 while at UAB. This past season with the Blazers, his team finished 15-16, including 9-7 in the C-USA.
He was fired in March after six seasons with the program.
As for Texas Southern, the Tigers finished 15-18. Harvey resigned from his position for personal reasons.
“I’m great with [being hired on an interim basis],” Davis told the station. “I’m excited just to get back on the floor.
“I love coaching, love teaching. I love development of young men. I’m just happy that Charles is giving me this opportunity.”
Davis is relatively high-profile for a coach moving to the SWAC, having participated in five NCAA tournaments and four NITs.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)