Aug 2, 2012, 3:38 PM EST
Mike Davis, formerly the head coach at Indiana and most recently serving as the head coach at UAB, has been hired to take over the same position at Texas Southern on an interim basis, KRIV-TV in Houston is reporting.
Davis takes over for Tony Harvey, who resigned last month.
“It’s a great opportunity for me to get back into coaching,” Davis told KRIV-TV. “I’ve researched Texas Southern’s program.
“I think Harvey left some real good players there. They had a good program and it’s one of the better jobs in the [SWAC] conference, and I’m excited to get back working and teaching.”
Davis led Indiana to the Final Four and national title game in 2002 and was named the Conference USA Coach of the Year in 2010-11 while at UAB. This past season with the Blazers, his team finished 15-16, including 9-7 in the C-USA.
He was fired in March after six seasons with the program.
As for Texas Southern, the Tigers finished 15-18. Harvey resigned from his position for personal reasons.
“I’m great with [being hired on an interim basis],” Davis told the station. “I’m excited just to get back on the floor.
“I love coaching, love teaching. I love development of young men. I’m just happy that Charles is giving me this opportunity.”
Davis is relatively high-profile for a coach moving to the SWAC, having participated in five NCAA tournaments and four NITs.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)