Aug 2, 2012, 9:24 AM EST
A 20-year-old Chicago man has been charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of former Chicago prep star and Iona signee Michael Haynes, an attorney’s office spokeswoman announced Wednesday.
Haynes, 22, was shot and killed last week trying to break up a fight over a stolen necklace, his cousin said.
According to a report, a group of men were shoving each other when Haynes shoved Cinque Lee, the man charged in his death, who allegedly pulled out a gun and shot him.
His death came just days before he was scheduled to leave Chicago and head to Iona to enroll in summer classes and begin working out with the Gaels. He spent last season at Indian Hills Community College where he averaged 6.9 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.
“The Iona family is devastated with the news on Michael’s passing,” said head coach Tim Cluess in a statement. “His passion, energy and excitement for his opportunity this year makes this tragedy even more upsetting. Our sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
Gun violence in Chicago has spiked by 38 percent since last year, according to the Associated Press, and Wednesday more than 200 public school children marched in the city to draw awareness to the issue.
“He wanted to get out of Chicago as soon as possible,” Iona assistant Jared Grasso told the New York Times. “It’s a sad thing. He was such a good kid. He just wanted an opportunity.”
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)