Aug 2, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
It’s been known for some time that Jim Christian, who left TCU to take over for the departed John Groce at Ohio, was in charge of the Bobcat program.
The only question was his contract and according to the Athens Post, Christian and school president Roderick McDavis applied their signatures to the document that makes things final.
Athletic director Jim Davis also signed off on the contract, which will pay Christian a base salary of $325,000 and a total of $425,000 per season after figuring in radio, television and public appearances.
Christian can also earn $10,000 bonuses should the Bobcats win the MAC (regular season or postseason) or an NCAA tournament game, and at the end of each season he can also earn a “longevity bonus” of $100,000.
And based on who all returns to Athens, Christian definitely has a chance of cashing in on a couple of those bonuses (not counting the “longevity bonus”) immediately.
Point guard D.J. Cooper and shooting guard Walter Offutt leading five returnees who all averaged at least eight points per game.
That cast helped lead the Bobcats to their first Sweet 16 appearance ever, and if the chemistry cultivated in that late-season run (Ohio won ten of eleven before falling to North Carolina) is still there they can duplicate that feat.
The biggest challenge for Ohio in the MAC will likely be defending regular season champion Akron, who fell to the Bobcats by a point in the MAC tournament final.
According to the Post, Christian’s staff (three assistants and the director of basketball operations) will be paid a total of $292,000 this season.
Photo credit: Joel Bissell/Athens News
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 4
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3