Aug 3, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
Just a couple days after reports that surgery to implant a pacemaker in his heart went well, it’s been announced that a movie about former Lipscomb and Northern State head coach Don Meyer is in the works.
Moonglow Films producers, who will handle the project, made visits to both Aberdeen, South Dakota and Nashville this week in preparations for the project.
While a final decision on the title hasn’t been made, apparently the film could be called “My Many Sons” and Moonglow Films hopes to have the movie ready for release sometime in 2013.
One of the people who pitched the project to Moonglow was Casey Bond, a Lipscomb grad who played Oakland A’s pitcher Chad Bradford in the movie “Moneyball”.
According to the Aberdeen News, Bond will be a producer of this movie while also having an acting role (to be determined).
The Meyer movie idea was floated at Lipscomb, which had a “Moneyball” premiere last fall featuring Bond. Lipscomb administration officials told Bond he should make a movie about Meyer.
After Bond had returned home to Los Angeles, while he was working out one day, he started thinking about Lipscomb and Coach Meyer’s story.
“I just had an epiphany on how this movie could be done. So I got a hold of Brad and told him, ‘I have this amazing story.’ He was into it and believed in it right away. And the idea just blossomed from there.”
After going 37-41 in three seasons at Division III Hamline, Meyer moved on to Lipscomb where he led the Bisons to 665 wins (179 losses) and an NAIA title in 1986 during his 24 seasons in Nashville.
At Northern State, Meyer went 221-104 and became college basketball’s all-time wins leader (923) until being overtaken by Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.
A car crash in 2008 resulted in Meyer both having his left leg amputated below the knee and learning that he had cancer, but he remained Northern State’s head coach until 2010.
Photo credit: David E. Klutho/Sports Illustrated
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery