Aug 4, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Granted, we came into this Olympics with the understanding that Anthony Davis was the last man on the bench of a loaded Team USA roster, but the former Kentucky star and No. 1 overall pick to the New Orleans Hornets saw some good minutes in the Americans’ 156-73 rout of Nigeria this week.
He was, perhaps though, more remembered for this moment, when he forgot his jersey on his way to checking into the game before halftime. Overall he played 15 minutes, went 4-of-4 from the field, and scored 9 points.
It was a different story Saturday against Lithuania, as the Americans could not fend off the fifth-ranked team in the world until the final minutes, even trailing in the fourth quarter on their way to a 99-94 victory in London.
LeBron James was the hero in the final minutes, integral to a 17-6 run that put Lithuania away for good. James finished with 20 points on 9-of-14 shooting.
But this close win aside, it is worth taking a look at what Anthony Davis has been able to bring to this team, despite the fact that he didn’t get a chance to see the floor in the closest game Team USA has had so far in this tournament.
When Blake Griffin went down in an already depleted USA frontcourt, Davis was brought onto the team and has filled the exact role that Coach K and that staffed asked him to: Be fresh legs to let stars rest during blowouts, play hard, provide some defense, and enjoy the ride.
He just needs to remember his jersey next time.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)