Aug 4, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Granted, we came into this Olympics with the understanding that Anthony Davis was the last man on the bench of a loaded Team USA roster, but the former Kentucky star and No. 1 overall pick to the New Orleans Hornets saw some good minutes in the Americans’ 156-73 rout of Nigeria this week.
He was, perhaps though, more remembered for this moment, when he forgot his jersey on his way to checking into the game before halftime. Overall he played 15 minutes, went 4-of-4 from the field, and scored 9 points.
It was a different story Saturday against Lithuania, as the Americans could not fend off the fifth-ranked team in the world until the final minutes, even trailing in the fourth quarter on their way to a 99-94 victory in London.
LeBron James was the hero in the final minutes, integral to a 17-6 run that put Lithuania away for good. James finished with 20 points on 9-of-14 shooting.
But this close win aside, it is worth taking a look at what Anthony Davis has been able to bring to this team, despite the fact that he didn’t get a chance to see the floor in the closest game Team USA has had so far in this tournament.
When Blake Griffin went down in an already depleted USA frontcourt, Davis was brought onto the team and has filled the exact role that Coach K and that staffed asked him to: Be fresh legs to let stars rest during blowouts, play hard, provide some defense, and enjoy the ride.
He just needs to remember his jersey next time.
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 3
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)