Aug 4, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Granted, we came into this Olympics with the understanding that Anthony Davis was the last man on the bench of a loaded Team USA roster, but the former Kentucky star and No. 1 overall pick to the New Orleans Hornets saw some good minutes in the Americans’ 156-73 rout of Nigeria this week.
He was, perhaps though, more remembered for this moment, when he forgot his jersey on his way to checking into the game before halftime. Overall he played 15 minutes, went 4-of-4 from the field, and scored 9 points.
It was a different story Saturday against Lithuania, as the Americans could not fend off the fifth-ranked team in the world until the final minutes, even trailing in the fourth quarter on their way to a 99-94 victory in London.
LeBron James was the hero in the final minutes, integral to a 17-6 run that put Lithuania away for good. James finished with 20 points on 9-of-14 shooting.
But this close win aside, it is worth taking a look at what Anthony Davis has been able to bring to this team, despite the fact that he didn’t get a chance to see the floor in the closest game Team USA has had so far in this tournament.
When Blake Griffin went down in an already depleted USA frontcourt, Davis was brought onto the team and has filled the exact role that Coach K and that staffed asked him to: Be fresh legs to let stars rest during blowouts, play hard, provide some defense, and enjoy the ride.
He just needs to remember his jersey next time.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)