Aug 4, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
This time of year, I spend quite a bit of time being jealous of college athletes, for reasons that are, for once, unrelated to their superior athletic ability.
In summer, I envy the hundreds of college kids who take overseas basketball trips. Travel broadens the mind, after all. And, in my case, it almost always broadens the stomach, as well. Exploring exotic cuisine is one of the true joys of going on sabbatical in another country. For most of us, that is.
Travis Releford, who will be a redshirt senior for the Kansas Jayhawks next season, isn’t such a fan of the movable feast.
“I can’t say I’ve had anything good that’s not American overseas,” Releford told the Lawrence Journal-World. “I don’t have a favorite food here. I eat everything.”
It’s not that Releford hasn’t had his opportunities, either. Basketball has taken him to Canada, Argentina and China thus far. This August, the brasseries of Paris and Zurich will vie for the opportunity to charm Releford’s palate. Or, more likely, they will be completely unaware that a gourmand of home-cooking is in their midst, silently judging them.
Then again, there’s always french fries, french toast and swiss cheese for the discerning American palate. Right?
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte