Aug 5, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT
Anthony Bennett made a splash when he committed to Dave Rice and UNLV this spring, but the Rebels will be without his services during the team’s mid-August trip to Canada, Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun is reporting.
Bennett is a native of the Toronto area and, though he was cleared by the NCAA, was not able to be enrolled in summer classes in time to be eligible for the Canadian trip, set to take place from Aug. 16-22.
While at Findlay Prep (Nev.) this past season, the 6-7, 235-pound Bennett averaged 14.5 points and 7.7 rebounds per game on his way to earning McDonald’s All-American honors.
He, along with Connecticut transfer Roscoe Smith and swingman Savon Goodman, was part of a fruitful recruiting spring for coach Dave Rice & Co. in Las Vegas.
Along with Bennett, the exhibition eligibility status of Smith is still in question, according to the Sun. For Smith to be eligible to play, he would need to be granted a hardship waiver by the NCAA.
Smith transferred from Connecticut after the Huskies were slapped with a postseason ban by the NCAA as a result of a non-qualifying APR score.
As for former Pittsburgh forward Khem Birch, he is ineligible to play on the trip because he is not eligible until December after transferring.
Both Birch and Smith reportedly sat out of practice Saturday as a “precaution,” as UNLV works to get word on their eligibility.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)