Aug 5, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT
Anthony Bennett made a splash when he committed to Dave Rice and UNLV this spring, but the Rebels will be without his services during the team’s mid-August trip to Canada, Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun is reporting.
Bennett is a native of the Toronto area and, though he was cleared by the NCAA, was not able to be enrolled in summer classes in time to be eligible for the Canadian trip, set to take place from Aug. 16-22.
While at Findlay Prep (Nev.) this past season, the 6-7, 235-pound Bennett averaged 14.5 points and 7.7 rebounds per game on his way to earning McDonald’s All-American honors.
He, along with Connecticut transfer Roscoe Smith and swingman Savon Goodman, was part of a fruitful recruiting spring for coach Dave Rice & Co. in Las Vegas.
Along with Bennett, the exhibition eligibility status of Smith is still in question, according to the Sun. For Smith to be eligible to play, he would need to be granted a hardship waiver by the NCAA.
Smith transferred from Connecticut after the Huskies were slapped with a postseason ban by the NCAA as a result of a non-qualifying APR score.
As for former Pittsburgh forward Khem Birch, he is ineligible to play on the trip because he is not eligible until December after transferring.
Both Birch and Smith reportedly sat out of practice Saturday as a “precaution,” as UNLV works to get word on their eligibility.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)