Aug 5, 2012, 6:17 PM EST
With point guard Kasey Hill and power forward Chris Walker already verbally committed to Florida, Billy Donovan’s program is seen by many to be the early leader in the 2013 recruiting rankings.
And with Orlando forward Schuyler Rimmer committing to the school on Sunday, the Gators are now up to three verbal commitments in the 2013 class.
Rimmer, a 6-9, 233-pound forward who led his Boone High team to a title at Florida’s team camp in June, averaged 16.4 points and 13.1 rebounds per game last season per the Orlando Sentinel.
With Erik Murphy being a senior this season and Patric Young a junior, adding another body to the front court is a positive for Florida even with transfers Dorian Finney-Smith (Virginia Tech) and Damontre Harris (South Carolina) being eligible next season.
Rimmer’s academic credentials (4.2 GPA) made him a target of high-major programs such as Stanford and Vanderbilt, but he ultimately decided to remain in-state after taking an unofficial visit to Florida on Wednesday.
“Stanford and Vanderbilt are some of the top universities in the country. But I know that a degree from Florida is highly regarded,” Rimmer said. “They’re still a really good academic school as well, one of the best public schools in the nation.”
Rimmer’s commitment comes one day after another power forward considering Florida, Mike Young, verbally committed to Pittsburgh.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)