Aug 5, 2012, 6:17 PM EST
With point guard Kasey Hill and power forward Chris Walker already verbally committed to Florida, Billy Donovan’s program is seen by many to be the early leader in the 2013 recruiting rankings.
And with Orlando forward Schuyler Rimmer committing to the school on Sunday, the Gators are now up to three verbal commitments in the 2013 class.
Rimmer, a 6-9, 233-pound forward who led his Boone High team to a title at Florida’s team camp in June, averaged 16.4 points and 13.1 rebounds per game last season per the Orlando Sentinel.
With Erik Murphy being a senior this season and Patric Young a junior, adding another body to the front court is a positive for Florida even with transfers Dorian Finney-Smith (Virginia Tech) and Damontre Harris (South Carolina) being eligible next season.
Rimmer’s academic credentials (4.2 GPA) made him a target of high-major programs such as Stanford and Vanderbilt, but he ultimately decided to remain in-state after taking an unofficial visit to Florida on Wednesday.
“Stanford and Vanderbilt are some of the top universities in the country. But I know that a degree from Florida is highly regarded,” Rimmer said. “They’re still a really good academic school as well, one of the best public schools in the nation.”
Rimmer’s commitment comes one day after another power forward considering Florida, Mike Young, verbally committed to Pittsburgh.
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)