Aug 5, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
With point guard Kasey Hill and power forward Chris Walker already verbally committed to Florida, Billy Donovan’s program is seen by many to be the early leader in the 2013 recruiting rankings.
And with Orlando forward Schuyler Rimmer committing to the school on Sunday, the Gators are now up to three verbal commitments in the 2013 class.
Rimmer, a 6-9, 233-pound forward who led his Boone High team to a title at Florida’s team camp in June, averaged 16.4 points and 13.1 rebounds per game last season per the Orlando Sentinel.
With Erik Murphy being a senior this season and Patric Young a junior, adding another body to the front court is a positive for Florida even with transfers Dorian Finney-Smith (Virginia Tech) and Damontre Harris (South Carolina) being eligible next season.
Rimmer’s academic credentials (4.2 GPA) made him a target of high-major programs such as Stanford and Vanderbilt, but he ultimately decided to remain in-state after taking an unofficial visit to Florida on Wednesday.
“Stanford and Vanderbilt are some of the top universities in the country. But I know that a degree from Florida is highly regarded,” Rimmer said. “They’re still a really good academic school as well, one of the best public schools in the nation.”
Rimmer’s commitment comes one day after another power forward considering Florida, Mike Young, verbally committed to Pittsburgh.
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 0
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)