Aug 5, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
With point guard Kasey Hill and power forward Chris Walker already verbally committed to Florida, Billy Donovan’s program is seen by many to be the early leader in the 2013 recruiting rankings.
And with Orlando forward Schuyler Rimmer committing to the school on Sunday, the Gators are now up to three verbal commitments in the 2013 class.
Rimmer, a 6-9, 233-pound forward who led his Boone High team to a title at Florida’s team camp in June, averaged 16.4 points and 13.1 rebounds per game last season per the Orlando Sentinel.
With Erik Murphy being a senior this season and Patric Young a junior, adding another body to the front court is a positive for Florida even with transfers Dorian Finney-Smith (Virginia Tech) and Damontre Harris (South Carolina) being eligible next season.
Rimmer’s academic credentials (4.2 GPA) made him a target of high-major programs such as Stanford and Vanderbilt, but he ultimately decided to remain in-state after taking an unofficial visit to Florida on Wednesday.
“Stanford and Vanderbilt are some of the top universities in the country. But I know that a degree from Florida is highly regarded,” Rimmer said. “They’re still a really good academic school as well, one of the best public schools in the nation.”
Rimmer’s commitment comes one day after another power forward considering Florida, Mike Young, verbally committed to Pittsburgh.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)