Aug 5, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
Jim Calhoun was forced to miss his annual alumni game Saturday night after reportedly falling off of his bike and breaking his hip, which required surgery.
He successfully underwent that surgery Saturday night, the school announced Sunday, and he is resting comfortably, set to be released from the hospital in the coming days.
“He’s just had some bad breaks this last year or so,” UConn athletic director Warde Manuel told the Associated Press, “and we’ve just got to hope that he has a speedy recovery.”
In Calhoun’s absence, the Alumni Game went on, with current Charlotte Bobcats guard and former Husky Kemba Walker scoring 38 points in front of over 7,000 fans at the Mohegan Sun Arena.
Calhoun’s injury brings along with it continued speculation about whether he is close to retirement, now 70 years old.
“I know he’s going to fight,” Lamb told the AP. “But I don’t know if it will make him want to coach more or retire more. I just know coach is a tough guy, a real strong man, and he’s going to do what’s best for him and his family.”
It will be a season of change for Connecticut in 2012-13, banned from the postseason for a non-qualifying APR score and without a large chunk of its key contributors from last season.
Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond left for the NBA draft, along with the transfers of Alex Oriakhi, Michael Bradley, and Roscoe Smith.
The Huskies bring in a three-man recruiting class for 2012-13, led by New York guard Omar Calhoun.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)