Aug 5, 2012, 2:38 PM EST
Jim Calhoun was forced to miss his annual alumni game Saturday night after reportedly falling off of his bike and breaking his hip, which required surgery.
He successfully underwent that surgery Saturday night, the school announced Sunday, and he is resting comfortably, set to be released from the hospital in the coming days.
“He’s just had some bad breaks this last year or so,” UConn athletic director Warde Manuel told the Associated Press, “and we’ve just got to hope that he has a speedy recovery.”
In Calhoun’s absence, the Alumni Game went on, with current Charlotte Bobcats guard and former Husky Kemba Walker scoring 38 points in front of over 7,000 fans at the Mohegan Sun Arena.
Calhoun’s injury brings along with it continued speculation about whether he is close to retirement, now 70 years old.
“I know he’s going to fight,” Lamb told the AP. “But I don’t know if it will make him want to coach more or retire more. I just know coach is a tough guy, a real strong man, and he’s going to do what’s best for him and his family.”
It will be a season of change for Connecticut in 2012-13, banned from the postseason for a non-qualifying APR score and without a large chunk of its key contributors from last season.
Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond left for the NBA draft, along with the transfers of Alex Oriakhi, Michael Bradley, and Roscoe Smith.
The Huskies bring in a three-man recruiting class for 2012-13, led by New York guard Omar Calhoun.
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)