Aug 7, 2012, 6:10 PM EST
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv, Cincinnati has gotten just that much bigger up front.
Mick Cronin has landed David Nyarsuk, a 7-foot-1 native of Sudan that spent last season playing for Mountain State, an NAIA program in West Virginia. He averaged 9.8 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.9 blocks there.
Nyarsuk originally committed to West Virginia back in 2009, when he was attending Mountain State Academy, (Mountain State Academy and Mountain State University are two different entities. I know, it confused me, too.) but was never able to get academically eligible. He’ll have two seasons left to play for Mick Cronin.
There’s no guarantee that Nyarsuk will ever be much more than a seven-footer for Cronin to send out there to take up space and block some shots (or get dunked on?), but he will add depth and size to an already solid front line. Justin Jackson, Cheikh Mbodj, Jermaine Sanders and Kelvin Gaines are all back for another season, while Shaquille Thomas will be eligible this season along with JuCo transfer Titus Kubles.
With Cashmere Wright, Sean Kilpatrick and JaQuan Parker returning in the back court — not to mention Jeremiah Davis and Ge’Lawn Guyn — Cronin will have no shortage of pieces to work with.
Competition for playing time is not a bad thing.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)