Aug 7, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Oklahoma State has suspended center Philip Jurick from its men’s basketball team after he pleaded not guilty to marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession charges Monday, the Associated Press is reporting.
The 6-11, 270-pound Jurick was charged with the misdemeanors Monday and entered his plea, set to appear in court again on Aug. 20.
Oklahoma State is readying itself for an overseas trip to Spain, a trip that head coach Travis Ford said Jurick will not be making in light of his suspension. According to the Associated Press, a final verdict on his standing with the team will be determined when more information about the case is available.
This past season, Jurick averaged 1.6 points and 4.9 rebounds per game in his year with the Cowboys. He is a native of Chattanooga, Tenn.
He began his college career at Tennessee, where he redshirted his freshman season. He then transferred to Chattanooga State. He played two seasons there, including a sophomore season where he was named an NJCAA Second Team All-American.
For Oklahoma State, this is the second bit of major news tied to the legal system in recent weeks, as another suspended player, forward Darrell Williams, was convicted on charges of sexual battery and rape by instrumentation. He had been suspended from the team since February of 2011.
The Cowboys finished this past season with an overall record of 15-18, including 7-11 in the Big 12.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit