Aug 7, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
That’s according to his coach at Arsenal Tech High School in Indianapolis, Jason Delaney.
“Trey Lyles has decided to open his recruitment. He loves IU & it is still #1 but he would like to have something to compare it to,” Delaney tweeted.
This is big news. Lyles is a top ten recruit in the Class of 2014. A native of Saskatchewan, Lyles moved to Indiana when he was in grade school and committed to the Hoosiers back in September of 2010, when he was just starting his freshman year in high school.
A 6-foot-8, 230 pound forward, Lyles has the size, strength and athleticism to bully defenders around the rim, but he’s graceful, coordinated and skilled enough to score from the perimeter. He had a terrific July, during the live recruiting period, which may have played a role in his decision to open up his recruitment. I saw him at the Nike Global Challenge, where he played for Team Canada and, in a couple of games, actually outshined his teammate Andrew Wiggins, who is the consensus best high school player in the country.
When you’re getting that kind of attention, it is only natural to want to see what other options are out there. According to Peegs.com’s Jeff Rabjohns, Nike schools Kentucky and Syracuse have been pushing hard on him. Indiana is sponsored by Adidas.
In what may have been a bit of foreshadowing, two hours before the news broke Tom Crean tweeted “I told my staff today that my football coaching friends think fb recruiting is like mbb recruiting because you have to deal with so many People that get involved. We think that more and more people never stop recruiting other school’s pledges. We are both right. Way of life.”
(Photo credit: Five Star Basketball)
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)