Aug 7, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
That’s according to his coach at Arsenal Tech High School in Indianapolis, Jason Delaney.
“Trey Lyles has decided to open his recruitment. He loves IU & it is still #1 but he would like to have something to compare it to,” Delaney tweeted.
This is big news. Lyles is a top ten recruit in the Class of 2014. A native of Saskatchewan, Lyles moved to Indiana when he was in grade school and committed to the Hoosiers back in September of 2010, when he was just starting his freshman year in high school.
A 6-foot-8, 230 pound forward, Lyles has the size, strength and athleticism to bully defenders around the rim, but he’s graceful, coordinated and skilled enough to score from the perimeter. He had a terrific July, during the live recruiting period, which may have played a role in his decision to open up his recruitment. I saw him at the Nike Global Challenge, where he played for Team Canada and, in a couple of games, actually outshined his teammate Andrew Wiggins, who is the consensus best high school player in the country.
When you’re getting that kind of attention, it is only natural to want to see what other options are out there. According to Peegs.com’s Jeff Rabjohns, Nike schools Kentucky and Syracuse have been pushing hard on him. Indiana is sponsored by Adidas.
In what may have been a bit of foreshadowing, two hours before the news broke Tom Crean tweeted “I told my staff today that my football coaching friends think fb recruiting is like mbb recruiting because you have to deal with so many People that get involved. We think that more and more people never stop recruiting other school’s pledges. We are both right. Way of life.”
(Photo credit: Five Star Basketball)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 0
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)