Following health scare, former Florida, Virginia Tech forward Allan Chaney gets chance at High Point
Aug 8, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
Former Florida and Virginia Tech forward Allan Chaney is hoping that his third school is the charm, following a health scare that nearly ended his Division I career.
The 6-9 former Top-100 prospect starred at New London HS (Conn.), but thought that his playing days might have come to an abrupt end last August after he collapsed during an offseason workout at Virginia Tech.
Doctors later found that he had viral myocarditis, a disease that causes heart inflammation and can be fatal.
Virginia Tech doctors said they would not be able to clear him and Chaney underwent surgery to implant a backup defibrillator in his chest that helps to control the effects of the condition.
Chaney has now committed to High Point, according to the Baltimore Sun, and was cleared in May to continue his basketball career.
“I appreciate everyone that has helped me through this process and I am hyped to play at High Point,” Chaney told The Baltimore Sun in an e-mail. “The coaches on the team are just as happy as I am about me coming to HPU.”
He graduated from Virginia Tech this spring, making him eligible to play right away as a graduate transfer at High Point. He will also reportedly apply for a medical hardship waiver from the NCAA, which could give him another year of eligibility.
“I have been working out this whole summer and playing basketball with no problems,” Chaney told the paper. “I took all the correct steps to getting back to playing and I have great doctors that are very hands on. The defibrillator is just for insurance.”
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming