Aug 9, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
He was one of the most talked-about players on the AAU circuit during the 2012 live recruiting period, and now he has chosen a school.
Lutheran HS (N.Y.) forward Kentan Facey has verbally committed to Connecticut after taking a visit to the school’s campus Wednesday, Zach Braziller of the New York Post is reporting.
Facey, 6-9, saw his stock rise rapidly during July, a raw offensive player with a high-major body and the ability to play defense and run the floor.
Before the summer, scouts primarily focused on Facey’s AAU teammate Jermaine Lawrence, but as Facey got more looks, high-major coaches began to buy in.
He had offers from schools that included UCLA, Pittsburgh, Louisville, St. John’s, Rutgers, Providence, and Memphis, and will now be foregoing scheduled visits to St. John’s and Rutgers in the wake of his commitment.
“It just felt right at the moment,” Facey told the Post. “Everything was just perfect — the situation, the campus is beautiful, the coaching staff is superb, all of that came together.”
Connecticut was able to nab Facey after his visit, despite the fact that head coach Jim Calhoun is recovering from hip surgery after falling off a bike and breaking his hip this past weekend.
Facey becomes the first commitment for UConn from the Class of 2013, following a three-man 2012 recruiting class that is set to take the court this fall.
Photo Credit: NY Post
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit