Aug 10, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
Hartford made the final addition to head coach John Gallagher’s staff official on Friday as they announced the hiring of Bill Dooley as an assistant coach.
Dooley has 27 years of coaching experience at the high school, college and international levels, and he arrives at Hartford after spending five seasons as the head coach at Chestnut Hill Academy in Pennsylvania.
Following the 2009-10 season at Chestnut Hill, Dooley was named Philadelphia Daily News Coach of the Year after leading his team to a 21-4 record.
“I am very excited to join the Hartford men’s basketball program,” said Dooley in the school release. “There is a definite excitement here.
“People always make the place, and I can already tell that there are special people here at Hartford from the administration, staff and coaches to the players.
“Coach Gallagher’s energy and enthusiasm are contagious. I am very happy and excited to be a Hartford Hawk.”
Dooley’s hiring was one of two staff changes announced by Gallagher on Friday, as Chris Gerlufsen was promoted to the position of top assistant.
The Hawks went just 9-22 last season, yet they managed to finish 5th in America East with a 7-9 league mark.
Before dropping their final two regular season games to Stony Brook and Boston University, Hartford won four straight games.
In the America East tournament the Hawks upset Boston University 53-49 in the quarterfinals before falling to eventual tournament champion Vermont in the semifinals.
Hartford has to account for the loss of leading scorer Andres Torres as they head into the 2012-13 campaign, but the next four leading scorers from last year’s team return with forward Mark Nwakamma (9.2 ppg) leading the way.
Photo credit: Jeff Feldmann/University of Hartford
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 0
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)