Aug 10, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
Hartford made the final addition to head coach John Gallagher’s staff official on Friday as they announced the hiring of Bill Dooley as an assistant coach.
Dooley has 27 years of coaching experience at the high school, college and international levels, and he arrives at Hartford after spending five seasons as the head coach at Chestnut Hill Academy in Pennsylvania.
Following the 2009-10 season at Chestnut Hill, Dooley was named Philadelphia Daily News Coach of the Year after leading his team to a 21-4 record.
“I am very excited to join the Hartford men’s basketball program,” said Dooley in the school release. “There is a definite excitement here.
“People always make the place, and I can already tell that there are special people here at Hartford from the administration, staff and coaches to the players.
“Coach Gallagher’s energy and enthusiasm are contagious. I am very happy and excited to be a Hartford Hawk.”
Dooley’s hiring was one of two staff changes announced by Gallagher on Friday, as Chris Gerlufsen was promoted to the position of top assistant.
The Hawks went just 9-22 last season, yet they managed to finish 5th in America East with a 7-9 league mark.
Before dropping their final two regular season games to Stony Brook and Boston University, Hartford won four straight games.
In the America East tournament the Hawks upset Boston University 53-49 in the quarterfinals before falling to eventual tournament champion Vermont in the semifinals.
Hartford has to account for the loss of leading scorer Andres Torres as they head into the 2012-13 campaign, but the next four leading scorers from last year’s team return with forward Mark Nwakamma (9.2 ppg) leading the way.
Photo credit: Jeff Feldmann/University of Hartford
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)