Aug 10, 2012, 4:42 PM EDT
Earlier this week Villanova made official the hiring of assistant coach Doug Martin, who was formerly an assistant at both Paul VI High School in Virginia and the Team Takeover program.
Now, according to Dana O’Neil of ESPN.com, the school is looking into Martin’s resume to see if he fabricated information in regards to his college playing career.
According to Martin’s bio on the Villanova website, he played at UW-Green Bay from 1991-95 under then-coach Dick Bennett.
But there are no such records at Green Bay backing this up, either through stats or the school’s all-time roster.
He is not listed on the all-time roster and Andrew Gavin, Green Bay’s director of athletic communications, said via email: “I do not have a record of a Doug Martin playing here and looked through our stats from each of those years as well.”
While on the phone with ESPN.com, Gavin checked hard copies of both regular-season and postseason media guides from the 1990-91 through 1994-95 seasons. The name Doug Martin did not appear on any rosters or in any statistics.
The Green Bay website also includes year-by-year final statistics. Martin’s name is not listed as a team participant in any of the years he claims to have played there.
According to Martin’s LinkedIn profile, which is now inactive apparently, he has bachelor’s degrees from both Green Bay and Vitterbo University.
Vitterbo is an NAIA school located in La Crosse, Wisconsin, where Martin played from 1990-94 according to the school.
While this situation certainly isn’t on the level of George O’Leary’s famous resume “issue” back in 2001, this certainly isn’t the kind of attention that any school wants for a new hire.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement