Aug 11, 2012, 9:46 AM EST
It’s sometimes one of the most elusive aspects of recruiting for a high-major Division I basketball coach: Connecting with the youth, the exact guys that you’re trying to lure to your basketball team.
No coach wants to look like a curmudgeon who spins Dean Martin records all day and wears his pants up high enough to show his socks peeking out at the bottom.
It seems Notre Dame coach Mike Brey has the fountain of youth and the ticket to infinite coolness and he shared it on his Twitter page Friday.
Me and my dawg 2 Chainz twitter.com/NDMikeBrey/sta…
— Mike Brey (@NDMikeBrey) August 10, 2012
2 Chainz, born Tauheed Epps, is a 35-year-old rapper from College Park, Ga., who has risen to popularity after changing his stage name and appearing on some high-profile tracks with rappers who include Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, and Drake.
We’ve seen John Calipari give Drake a national championship ring, despite how some protested whether the Canadian-born rapper’s fandom had made him worthy of one. Great “cool” move.
But this Brey tweet is made better not only because he rarely tweets—before the picture, he had last tweeted Aug. 1, then all the way back in April—but because no one expects a guy who coaches in Indiana to pull a move like this. Granted, he might still have some work to do. “Dawg” is a big outdated at this point. Perhaps next time go with “fam” or even simply “man.”
But, hey, will it seal the deal for him on a top-flight recruit? Probably not, but it has certainly scored a few “cool” points in my book.
Extra points: Notre Dame is sponsored by adidas. What is 2 Chainz wearing? Adidas. Keeping the sponsors happy.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 1
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)