Aug 11, 2012, 9:46 AM EST
It’s sometimes one of the most elusive aspects of recruiting for a high-major Division I basketball coach: Connecting with the youth, the exact guys that you’re trying to lure to your basketball team.
No coach wants to look like a curmudgeon who spins Dean Martin records all day and wears his pants up high enough to show his socks peeking out at the bottom.
It seems Notre Dame coach Mike Brey has the fountain of youth and the ticket to infinite coolness and he shared it on his Twitter page Friday.
Me and my dawg 2 Chainz twitter.com/NDMikeBrey/sta…
— Mike Brey (@NDMikeBrey) August 10, 2012
2 Chainz, born Tauheed Epps, is a 35-year-old rapper from College Park, Ga., who has risen to popularity after changing his stage name and appearing on some high-profile tracks with rappers who include Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, and Drake.
We’ve seen John Calipari give Drake a national championship ring, despite how some protested whether the Canadian-born rapper’s fandom had made him worthy of one. Great “cool” move.
But this Brey tweet is made better not only because he rarely tweets—before the picture, he had last tweeted Aug. 1, then all the way back in April—but because no one expects a guy who coaches in Indiana to pull a move like this. Granted, he might still have some work to do. “Dawg” is a big outdated at this point. Perhaps next time go with “fam” or even simply “man.”
But, hey, will it seal the deal for him on a top-flight recruit? Probably not, but it has certainly scored a few “cool” points in my book.
Extra points: Notre Dame is sponsored by adidas. What is 2 Chainz wearing? Adidas. Keeping the sponsors happy.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)