Aug 11, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT
It’s sometimes one of the most elusive aspects of recruiting for a high-major Division I basketball coach: Connecting with the youth, the exact guys that you’re trying to lure to your basketball team.
No coach wants to look like a curmudgeon who spins Dean Martin records all day and wears his pants up high enough to show his socks peeking out at the bottom.
It seems Notre Dame coach Mike Brey has the fountain of youth and the ticket to infinite coolness and he shared it on his Twitter page Friday.
Me and my dawg 2 Chainz twitter.com/NDMikeBrey/sta…
— Mike Brey (@NDMikeBrey) August 10, 2012
2 Chainz, born Tauheed Epps, is a 35-year-old rapper from College Park, Ga., who has risen to popularity after changing his stage name and appearing on some high-profile tracks with rappers who include Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, and Drake.
We’ve seen John Calipari give Drake a national championship ring, despite how some protested whether the Canadian-born rapper’s fandom had made him worthy of one. Great “cool” move.
But this Brey tweet is made better not only because he rarely tweets—before the picture, he had last tweeted Aug. 1, then all the way back in April—but because no one expects a guy who coaches in Indiana to pull a move like this. Granted, he might still have some work to do. “Dawg” is a big outdated at this point. Perhaps next time go with “fam” or even simply “man.”
But, hey, will it seal the deal for him on a top-flight recruit? Probably not, but it has certainly scored a few “cool” points in my book.
Extra points: Notre Dame is sponsored by adidas. What is 2 Chainz wearing? Adidas. Keeping the sponsors happy.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)