Aug 11, 2012, 9:46 AM EST
It’s sometimes one of the most elusive aspects of recruiting for a high-major Division I basketball coach: Connecting with the youth, the exact guys that you’re trying to lure to your basketball team.
No coach wants to look like a curmudgeon who spins Dean Martin records all day and wears his pants up high enough to show his socks peeking out at the bottom.
It seems Notre Dame coach Mike Brey has the fountain of youth and the ticket to infinite coolness and he shared it on his Twitter page Friday.
Me and my dawg 2 Chainz twitter.com/NDMikeBrey/sta…
— Mike Brey (@NDMikeBrey) August 10, 2012
2 Chainz, born Tauheed Epps, is a 35-year-old rapper from College Park, Ga., who has risen to popularity after changing his stage name and appearing on some high-profile tracks with rappers who include Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, and Drake.
We’ve seen John Calipari give Drake a national championship ring, despite how some protested whether the Canadian-born rapper’s fandom had made him worthy of one. Great “cool” move.
But this Brey tweet is made better not only because he rarely tweets—before the picture, he had last tweeted Aug. 1, then all the way back in April—but because no one expects a guy who coaches in Indiana to pull a move like this. Granted, he might still have some work to do. “Dawg” is a big outdated at this point. Perhaps next time go with “fam” or even simply “man.”
But, hey, will it seal the deal for him on a top-flight recruit? Probably not, but it has certainly scored a few “cool” points in my book.
Extra points: Notre Dame is sponsored by adidas. What is 2 Chainz wearing? Adidas. Keeping the sponsors happy.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 1
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)