Aug 12, 2012, 9:39 AM EST
Newly hired Villanova assistant Doug Martin has resigned after inaccuracies were found in his resume regarding the extent of his career as a player, the school announced Saturday.
Dana O’Neil of ESPN.com was the first to report that Villanova was looking into Martin’s resume, which claimed he played at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay from 1991-95. His name reportedly did not appear in hard copies of the school’s media guide, nor anywhere else that would indicate he played for the school during that time.
“I have always known Doug to be a good person and coach,” head coach Jay Wright said in a statement. “He has taken responsibility for his mistake and will move on successfully! We all wish Doug well.”
At the time of his hiring this past week, Martin was considered a great fit for the job because of his connections to the Washington D.C. basketball scene, including coaching experience at powerhouse Paul VI (Va.) and with the Team Takeover (D.C.) AAU program.
After he joined the staff, it was thought that Villanova would be in good position for two key prospects: 2013 guard Josh Hart and 2014 point guard Phil Booth, both members of the Takeover program.
Now that he has resigned, it is unclear how their recruitment will be affected, if at all.
Villanova finished 13-19 this past season, including 5-13 in the Big East. With Maalik Wayns and Dominic Cheek leaving school early, the Wildcats will have holes to fill in 2012-13.
Incoming freshmen Ryan Arcidiacono and Daniel Ochefu lead the Class of 2012, but Wright will have to make in-roads in the classes of 2013 and 2014 to get Villanova back to the top of the conference.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)