Aug 12, 2012, 9:39 AM EDT
Newly hired Villanova assistant Doug Martin has resigned after inaccuracies were found in his resume regarding the extent of his career as a player, the school announced Saturday.
Dana O’Neil of ESPN.com was the first to report that Villanova was looking into Martin’s resume, which claimed he played at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay from 1991-95. His name reportedly did not appear in hard copies of the school’s media guide, nor anywhere else that would indicate he played for the school during that time.
“I have always known Doug to be a good person and coach,” head coach Jay Wright said in a statement. “He has taken responsibility for his mistake and will move on successfully! We all wish Doug well.”
At the time of his hiring this past week, Martin was considered a great fit for the job because of his connections to the Washington D.C. basketball scene, including coaching experience at powerhouse Paul VI (Va.) and with the Team Takeover (D.C.) AAU program.
After he joined the staff, it was thought that Villanova would be in good position for two key prospects: 2013 guard Josh Hart and 2014 point guard Phil Booth, both members of the Takeover program.
Now that he has resigned, it is unclear how their recruitment will be affected, if at all.
Villanova finished 13-19 this past season, including 5-13 in the Big East. With Maalik Wayns and Dominic Cheek leaving school early, the Wildcats will have holes to fill in 2012-13.
Incoming freshmen Ryan Arcidiacono and Daniel Ochefu lead the Class of 2012, but Wright will have to make in-roads in the classes of 2013 and 2014 to get Villanova back to the top of the conference.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)