Aug 13, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Former Ohio State assistant Alan Major took on a tough job in 2010 when he agreed to begin his head coaching job at UNC-Charlotte. The 49ers haven’t been to the NCAA tournament since 2005, when they were under the direction of Bobby Lutz (now an assistant at NC State). They’re frequent A-10 also-rans, and the job of winning projects to get much harder with Final Four-caliber programs Butler and VCU joining the fray this season. Then, he gets to pack up and move to C-USA because the nascent football team said so.
Major received some bad news this week that won’t help him build confidence for this season’s efforts. David Scott of the Charlotte Observer reported that 6’3″ freshman shooting guard Shawn Lester is academically ineligible for the 2012-13 season.
The news dropped while Major and his squad were preparing to leave for an exhibition tour of the Bahamas, which would seem like a bummer of a way to start an island journey, but Major did his best to sound positive.
“We are extremely excited that Shawn will be with us on campus this year,” said 49ers coach Alan Major in a statement. “He will focus on academics and being a successful student here at Charlotte. In addition, he will use this year to improve his game in preparation for our return to Conference USA.”
Lester is part of a five-man class headlined by 6’7″ forward Willie Clayton. He’ll be able to enroll at Charlotte, but will not be allowed to practice with the team.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 31
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (31)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)