Aug 13, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Former Ohio State assistant Alan Major took on a tough job in 2010 when he agreed to begin his head coaching job at UNC-Charlotte. The 49ers haven’t been to the NCAA tournament since 2005, when they were under the direction of Bobby Lutz (now an assistant at NC State). They’re frequent A-10 also-rans, and the job of winning projects to get much harder with Final Four-caliber programs Butler and VCU joining the fray this season. Then, he gets to pack up and move to C-USA because the nascent football team said so.
Major received some bad news this week that won’t help him build confidence for this season’s efforts. David Scott of the Charlotte Observer reported that 6’3″ freshman shooting guard Shawn Lester is academically ineligible for the 2012-13 season.
The news dropped while Major and his squad were preparing to leave for an exhibition tour of the Bahamas, which would seem like a bummer of a way to start an island journey, but Major did his best to sound positive.
“We are extremely excited that Shawn will be with us on campus this year,” said 49ers coach Alan Major in a statement. “He will focus on academics and being a successful student here at Charlotte. In addition, he will use this year to improve his game in preparation for our return to Conference USA.”
Lester is part of a five-man class headlined by 6’7″ forward Willie Clayton. He’ll be able to enroll at Charlotte, but will not be allowed to practice with the team.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)