Aug 13, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Former Ohio State assistant Alan Major took on a tough job in 2010 when he agreed to begin his head coaching job at UNC-Charlotte. The 49ers haven’t been to the NCAA tournament since 2005, when they were under the direction of Bobby Lutz (now an assistant at NC State). They’re frequent A-10 also-rans, and the job of winning projects to get much harder with Final Four-caliber programs Butler and VCU joining the fray this season. Then, he gets to pack up and move to C-USA because the nascent football team said so.
Major received some bad news this week that won’t help him build confidence for this season’s efforts. David Scott of the Charlotte Observer reported that 6’3″ freshman shooting guard Shawn Lester is academically ineligible for the 2012-13 season.
The news dropped while Major and his squad were preparing to leave for an exhibition tour of the Bahamas, which would seem like a bummer of a way to start an island journey, but Major did his best to sound positive.
“We are extremely excited that Shawn will be with us on campus this year,” said 49ers coach Alan Major in a statement. “He will focus on academics and being a successful student here at Charlotte. In addition, he will use this year to improve his game in preparation for our return to Conference USA.”
Lester is part of a five-man class headlined by 6’7″ forward Willie Clayton. He’ll be able to enroll at Charlotte, but will not be allowed to practice with the team.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)