Aug 13, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Former Ohio State assistant Alan Major took on a tough job in 2010 when he agreed to begin his head coaching job at UNC-Charlotte. The 49ers haven’t been to the NCAA tournament since 2005, when they were under the direction of Bobby Lutz (now an assistant at NC State). They’re frequent A-10 also-rans, and the job of winning projects to get much harder with Final Four-caliber programs Butler and VCU joining the fray this season. Then, he gets to pack up and move to C-USA because the nascent football team said so.
Major received some bad news this week that won’t help him build confidence for this season’s efforts. David Scott of the Charlotte Observer reported that 6’3″ freshman shooting guard Shawn Lester is academically ineligible for the 2012-13 season.
The news dropped while Major and his squad were preparing to leave for an exhibition tour of the Bahamas, which would seem like a bummer of a way to start an island journey, but Major did his best to sound positive.
“We are extremely excited that Shawn will be with us on campus this year,” said 49ers coach Alan Major in a statement. “He will focus on academics and being a successful student here at Charlotte. In addition, he will use this year to improve his game in preparation for our return to Conference USA.”
Lester is part of a five-man class headlined by 6’7″ forward Willie Clayton. He’ll be able to enroll at Charlotte, but will not be allowed to practice with the team.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)