Aug 13, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
Former Ohio State assistant Alan Major took on a tough job in 2010 when he agreed to begin his head coaching job at UNC-Charlotte. The 49ers haven’t been to the NCAA tournament since 2005, when they were under the direction of Bobby Lutz (now an assistant at NC State). They’re frequent A-10 also-rans, and the job of winning projects to get much harder with Final Four-caliber programs Butler and VCU joining the fray this season. Then, he gets to pack up and move to C-USA because the nascent football team said so.
Major received some bad news this week that won’t help him build confidence for this season’s efforts. David Scott of the Charlotte Observer reported that 6’3″ freshman shooting guard Shawn Lester is academically ineligible for the 2012-13 season.
The news dropped while Major and his squad were preparing to leave for an exhibition tour of the Bahamas, which would seem like a bummer of a way to start an island journey, but Major did his best to sound positive.
“We are extremely excited that Shawn will be with us on campus this year,” said 49ers coach Alan Major in a statement. “He will focus on academics and being a successful student here at Charlotte. In addition, he will use this year to improve his game in preparation for our return to Conference USA.”
Lester is part of a five-man class headlined by 6’7″ forward Willie Clayton. He’ll be able to enroll at Charlotte, but will not be allowed to practice with the team.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)