Aug 13, 2012, 12:50 AM EDT
Not sure if Illinois State is attempting to corner the market on left-handed guards, but three weeks after gaining a verbal commitment from Paris Lee the Redbirds have their second.
Tony Wills, a 6-3 guard from Indianapolis (Ben Davis HS), has decided to verbally commit to Dan Muller’s program according to Jim Benson of the Bloomington (IL) Pantagraph.
Wills, who also held offers from American, Green Bay and Jacksonville, averaged 15.2 points per game last season and was a first team Underclass All-State selection in Indiana.
“He was a great pickup for Illinois State. He’s a good player who does everything well. He’s been under the radar,” said Reynaldo Bluiett, Wills’ coach with Spiece Indy Heat. “He’s a very coachable kid.
“He’s a threat to do it all (offensively). He’s a slasher, can shoot the 3 and he competes. He’s a playmaker who makes others better. (Defensively) he can guard multiple positions. He does a lot on the defensive end.”
The Redbirds will have some work to do on the recruiting trail with power forward Jackie Carmichael entering his senior season, but at the least they’re off to a good start on the perimeter with these two commitments.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)