Aug 13, 2012, 12:50 AM EDT
Not sure if Illinois State is attempting to corner the market on left-handed guards, but three weeks after gaining a verbal commitment from Paris Lee the Redbirds have their second.
Tony Wills, a 6-3 guard from Indianapolis (Ben Davis HS), has decided to verbally commit to Dan Muller’s program according to Jim Benson of the Bloomington (IL) Pantagraph.
Wills, who also held offers from American, Green Bay and Jacksonville, averaged 15.2 points per game last season and was a first team Underclass All-State selection in Indiana.
“He was a great pickup for Illinois State. He’s a good player who does everything well. He’s been under the radar,” said Reynaldo Bluiett, Wills’ coach with Spiece Indy Heat. “He’s a very coachable kid.
“He’s a threat to do it all (offensively). He’s a slasher, can shoot the 3 and he competes. He’s a playmaker who makes others better. (Defensively) he can guard multiple positions. He does a lot on the defensive end.”
The Redbirds will have some work to do on the recruiting trail with power forward Jackie Carmichael entering his senior season, but at the least they’re off to a good start on the perimeter with these two commitments.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)