Aug 14, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT
Some college basketball players move from school to school because of academic troubles. Others because they can’t stay out of trouble off the court.
Billy Baron keeps moving out of loyalty to his dad.
Baron, a shooting guard, played one semester at the University of Virginia before bolting to Rhode Island, where his father Jim Baron was struggling to keep his job. He played pretty well as a Ram, starting 14 games and averaging 13 points and 2.6 assists per game. It wasn’t enough. The Rams lost 24 games and missed the NCAA tournament for the 13th straight year (11 of which were played under Jim Baron), leading to the coach’s dismissal.
The elder Baron landed on his feet, taking over as head coach of the MAAC’s Canisius Golden Griffins in late April. Today, he announced that his youngest son Billy will once again join him. In addition, the NCAA granted the younger Baron a waiver, allowing him to begin his final two seasons of eligibility immediately.
For both Barons, it may be a case of ‘out of the frying pan, into the fire’, as the Griffs lost 25 games last season, and don’t have anywhere near the recruiting clout an A-10 school can offer. A career path from the ACC to the A-10 to the MAAC isn’t exactly a player’s dream, either. Still, Billy Baron has high-major talent, and his dad will have that going for him as he tries to build Canisius back into an auto-bid contender.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)