Aug 14, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
After a year playing minor league baseball, American University forward Stephen Lumpkins is returning to school to play basketball, the Washington Post is reporting.
Lumpkins, a 6-8, 225-pound California native, has reportedly re-enrolled in school after having left at the conclusion of his junior year in 2011.
He plans to play right away, pending approval from the Patriot League.
“Being away for a year made me realize how much I miss basketball,” Lumpkins told the paper. “I enjoyed my three years on the AU team very much and I am hopeful I can play again in my final year.”
In the minors, Lumpkins pitched for the AZL Royals, a rookie league team in Arizona and affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. During his first season, he was 2-1 with a 7.02 ERA. This year, he was 0-0 with a 19.64 ERA in under four innings of work.
During his last year at American in 2010-11, he averaged 13.5 points, 8.2 rebounds, and 1.3 blocks per game.
If approved to play, Lumpkins will return to a team that finished 20-14 in 2011-12, including 10-4 in the Patriot League.
The Eagles welcome two recruits to the team from the Class of 2012.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights