Aug 15, 2012, 9:36 AM EDT
UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad will not make a scheduled overseas trip to China with the Bruins this month as the NCAA continues to investigate his connections to two financial planners that could impact his amateur status and eligibility at UCLA, Tracy Pierson of Scout.com is reporting.
CBSSports.com first brought to light that the NCAA was investigating Muhammad and alleged financial dealings involving financial planners Ken Kavanagh and Benjamin Lincoln in relation to Muhammad’s unofficial visits and his former AAU team, Dream Vision Foundation.
Muhammad will remain in California when the team leaves for China on Aug. 23. He also, along with fellow top recruit Kyle Anderson, is working back from an injury suffered during the off-season.
UCLA begins its three-game swing in the Far East with a game at Tsinghua University on Aug. 25. The Bruins will then take on Shanghai Jiao Tong University on Aug. 27 before finishing out their trip with a game against the Shanghai Sharks, a professional team, on Aug. 28.
Muhammad, a dynamic scorer, is part of what is possibly the best recruiting class in the country, alongside the Top-5 prospect Anderson of Jersey City, N.J., Jordan Adams of powerhouse Oak Hill Academy (Va.), and big man Tony Parker.
UCLA finished last season with an overall record of 19-14 overall this past season, including 11-7 in the Pac-12.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)