Aug 16, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
News broke earlier this week that Eastern Michigan head coach Rob Murphy would be leaving his post to join the Orlando Magic, according to Graham Couch of MLive.com.
But now, according to the Detroit Free-Press, a clause in Murphy’s contract is holding up any possible move.
In a report published Thursday, Mark Snyder of the Free-Press says that under an agreement reached in his contract, Murphy would have to pay Eastern Michigan $210,000, the equivalent of one year of his salary, in order to leave.
The contract states that the sum must be paid either in a lump or prorated over the number of years remaining on the contract, in this case four.
Murphy led Eastern Michigan to a 14-18 overall record this past season, his first with the team, including 9-7 in the MAC. He won the conference’s Coach of the Year award for leading the team to a first-place finish after the Eagles were projected to finish last in the MAC Western Division in the preseason media poll.
Before coming to Eastern Michigan, Murphy served as an assistant under Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, as well working as an assistant at Kent State.
Click here to read the full clause in Murphy’s contract.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte