Aug 19, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT
With the start of the fall semester approaching some decisions needed to be made by players in the UCF basketball program.
Thanks to NCAA sanctions the school isn’t eligible for postseason play in its final Conference USA season, opening the door for players to transfer without penalty.
The 6-8 Clanton was a first team All-Conference USA selection last year, averaging 14.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game in 33 contests for the 22-11 Knights (10-6 C-USA).
Clanton’s size and talent resulted in Florida State and Kentucky showing interest, but in the end he decided that finishing his career at UCF was best for him.
“I think to people’s surprise I will be returning to UCF for my Sr. season,” Clanton posted on his Twitter account Saturday night while celebrating his birthday. “I love this team and my dreams and goals can be fulfilled here.”
While Clanton picked his special day to give UCF fans a welcome present, Bethune-Cookman transfer C.J. Reed will leave without playing a game for UCF.
He’s headed to Georgia Southern, where his father was hired as an assistant coach earlier this month.
Curtis Reed was relieved of his duties as head coach at Bethune-Cookman in June 2011, leading to C.J. deciding to transfer to UCF.
The roster news didn’t stop there either, as Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com reported that senior guard Marcus Jordan isn’t expected to play basketball this season.
Marcus averaged 13.7 points and 2.4 assists per game last season, but the chances of him playing this season were seen by many to be 50/50 at best earlier this summer.
With Jordan not playing, Reed transferring and A.J. Rompza out of eligibility, the status of power forward Josh Crittle becomes even more important with classes due to begin on Monday.
According to Iliana Limon of the Orlando Sentinel, Crittle has visited DePaul but the Chicago native has yet to make a final decision as to whether or not he’ll return to UCF.
UCF is down to two freshman point guards in Tyler Coons (who isn’t expected to play much) and Daiquan Walker, with Oklahoma transfer Calvin Newell eligible at the end of the fall semester.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)