Aug 19, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
When Katin Reinhardt pledged his name to Dave Rice and UNLV this time last year, the Runnin’ Rebels were not promised the level of young talent that they now enjoy.
At the time the 6-5 guard from Mater Dei (Calif.) decided to commit to UNLV after decommitting from USC, it was just he and guard DaQuan Cook for the Rebels from the Class of 2012.
What a difference a year makes.
Rice, now also returning key pieces Mike Moser and Anthony Marshall, welcomes top-10 recruit Anthony Bennett, Pitt transfer Khem Birch, USC transfer Bryce DeJean-Jones (now eligible), Connecticut transfer Roscoe Smith, forward Savon Goodman, and local product Demetris Morant,
UNLV is currently on an exhibition swing through Canada and it seems only fitting that the prospect who was willing to take an early chance on Rice’s program would help the Rebels to a win.
Behind Reinhardt’s 19 points, UNLV pulled through in the final minutes to defeat Carleton University, 74-70, in Ottawa.
Marshall finished with 14 points, including a slam in the final seconds that sealed the win, and Moser was the other Rebel in double digits with 10.
And Reinhardt is already gaining the respect of his teammates.
“I know Reinhardt is going to be on the floor for sure, just because of the way he shoots the ball,” Moser told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “Reinhardt has a lot of savvy to him. He gets things right away. He’s a smart player.”
UNLV plays again Sunday, Aug. 19 against the University of Ottawa.
Photo Credit: Las Vegas Journal-Review
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team