Aug 20, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
Conference realignment will never end.
Schools are always looking to make improvements, and that fact only gets magnified when there are billions on the line television revenue.
But I think that we can definitively say that conference realignment has jumped the shark. The latest round of expansion comes from the Southland Conference, who filled two of the slots left by the departed Texas State, UT-San Antonio, and UT-Arlington with … Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word?
Those are colleges?
Abilene Christian has been a Division I program before. They spent a decade back in the 60′s and 70′s in the Southland. But that doesn’t change the fact that they sound like a team that should be playing the Dillon Panthers in an episode of Friday Night Lights.
And Incarnate Word? Well, I’ll let my buddy Eamonn Brennan handle that one:
Incarnate Word, on the other hand — I’m preemptively sorry to the folks at Incarnate Word for saying this, but it’s true — sounds like the kind of questionable storefront diploma mill that the NCAA has so desperately attempted to destroy since 2007.
These two programs will spend five seasons as a Division I transitional program: in 2014-2015, they’ll play a Division I schedule and come 2017-2018, they’ll be allowed to compete for a national title.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT