Aug 21, 2012, 9:52 PM EDT
Former St. John’s signee Norvel Pelle has committed to Iona to play his college basketball for the Gaels, a source confirmed to Daniel Martin of NBCSports.com. Jon Rothstein broke the news on twitter on Tuesday evening.
Pelle is enrolling at Iona now, and if he gets eligible for this season (which is still a major ‘if’ at this point — keep in mind that he wasn’t cleared to play for the Johnnies), Iona looks like the clear favorite to win the MAAC.
Keep in mind, this is a kid that would have been one of the stars of the Class of 2011 for St. John’s, a class that included Maurice Harkless and D’Angelo Harrison. He’s a legitimate top 50 talent, something that doesn’t show up in the MAAC all that often. Programs like UNLV, Washington and San Diego State were all after Pelle this offseason.
Once David Laury, a Western Kentucky transfer, gets eligible in January, Iona could trot out a lineup that includes Momo Jones, Sean Armand, Curtis Dennis, Laury and Pelle. That’s a lot of talent.
(Reporting for this post was done by Daniel Martin.)
(Photo credit: USABasketball.com)
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)