Aug 21, 2012, 9:52 PM EST
Former St. John’s signee Norvel Pelle has committed to Iona to play his college basketball for the Gaels, a source confirmed to Daniel Martin of NBCSports.com. Jon Rothstein broke the news on twitter on Tuesday evening.
Pelle is enrolling at Iona now, and if he gets eligible for this season (which is still a major ‘if’ at this point — keep in mind that he wasn’t cleared to play for the Johnnies), Iona looks like the clear favorite to win the MAAC.
Keep in mind, this is a kid that would have been one of the stars of the Class of 2011 for St. John’s, a class that included Maurice Harkless and D’Angelo Harrison. He’s a legitimate top 50 talent, something that doesn’t show up in the MAAC all that often. Programs like UNLV, Washington and San Diego State were all after Pelle this offseason.
Once David Laury, a Western Kentucky transfer, gets eligible in January, Iona could trot out a lineup that includes Momo Jones, Sean Armand, Curtis Dennis, Laury and Pelle. That’s a lot of talent.
(Reporting for this post was done by Daniel Martin.)
(Photo credit: USABasketball.com)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)