Aug 21, 2012, 9:52 PM EDT
Former St. John’s signee Norvel Pelle has committed to Iona to play his college basketball for the Gaels, a source confirmed to Daniel Martin of NBCSports.com. Jon Rothstein broke the news on twitter on Tuesday evening.
Pelle is enrolling at Iona now, and if he gets eligible for this season (which is still a major ‘if’ at this point — keep in mind that he wasn’t cleared to play for the Johnnies), Iona looks like the clear favorite to win the MAAC.
Keep in mind, this is a kid that would have been one of the stars of the Class of 2011 for St. John’s, a class that included Maurice Harkless and D’Angelo Harrison. He’s a legitimate top 50 talent, something that doesn’t show up in the MAAC all that often. Programs like UNLV, Washington and San Diego State were all after Pelle this offseason.
Once David Laury, a Western Kentucky transfer, gets eligible in January, Iona could trot out a lineup that includes Momo Jones, Sean Armand, Curtis Dennis, Laury and Pelle. That’s a lot of talent.
(Reporting for this post was done by Daniel Martin.)
(Photo credit: USABasketball.com)
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)