Aug 21, 2012, 9:52 PM EDT
Former St. John’s signee Norvel Pelle has committed to Iona to play his college basketball for the Gaels, a source confirmed to Daniel Martin of NBCSports.com. Jon Rothstein broke the news on twitter on Tuesday evening.
Pelle is enrolling at Iona now, and if he gets eligible for this season (which is still a major ‘if’ at this point — keep in mind that he wasn’t cleared to play for the Johnnies), Iona looks like the clear favorite to win the MAAC.
Keep in mind, this is a kid that would have been one of the stars of the Class of 2011 for St. John’s, a class that included Maurice Harkless and D’Angelo Harrison. He’s a legitimate top 50 talent, something that doesn’t show up in the MAAC all that often. Programs like UNLV, Washington and San Diego State were all after Pelle this offseason.
Once David Laury, a Western Kentucky transfer, gets eligible in January, Iona could trot out a lineup that includes Momo Jones, Sean Armand, Curtis Dennis, Laury and Pelle. That’s a lot of talent.
(Reporting for this post was done by Daniel Martin.)
(Photo credit: USABasketball.com)
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)