Aug 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Happy “Bi-quarterly Expansionocalypse Update Tuesday” everybody!
- The WAC is closing up shop for FBS football. That conference is dead in the water. Abeline Christian and Incarnate Word will be joining the Division-I ranks, headed to the Southland Conference. No word yet on Little Sisters of the Poor…..
- The guys at CBS’ Eye on CBball continue their coaches survey series. 58% of coaches polled believe players should get compensated
- Apparently, the administrations at both Louisville and Kentucky monitor the social networks of student-athletes for potential client relations. See, I have no problem with this. Schools like LSU, Nebraska and Oklahoma were doing it all wrong, but #BBN and “The ‘Ville” have gotten it right. Glen Logan and NBC’s own Mike Miller both offer solid opinions on the matter
- The words “Rutgers” and “NCAA Tournament” haven’t been said in the same sentence in quite some time. Despite the transferring of Gilvydas Biruta, the Scarlet Knights could sneak in to the field of 68 in 2012-2013
- Washington has added walk-on potential #AllNameTeam candidate Quinn Sterling. Kid has an amazing story too
- Former-Florida guard and Virginia Tech-transfer Allen Chaney is hoping to revitalize his collegiate career at High Point despite an ailing heart condition that sidelined him two years ago
- A list of all the 2012 Big Sky transfers
- Iona has landed a commitment from former-Penn State transfer Tre Bowman. The junior guard will be able to play immediately but the team may struggle to embrace him. Why? Because just under a month ago, Iona-bound Michael Hayns was shot and killed in Chicago. The Gaels are now foreced to grieve the loss of a teammate and embrace a new one at the same time
- Oklahoma State’s potential season success took a hit on Monday with the announcement that gritty sophomore guard Cezar Guerrero is transferring out of Stillwater
- Sudanese big-man Mankog Mathiang has earned academic clearance at Louisville but is still waiting to hear back about his overall eligibility for this season
- A great take from ESPN’s Myron Medcalf on the numerous recent struggles of Calvin Godfrey. A hot prospect out of the midwest in 2009, Godfrey has never been able to mature or develop past the “prospect” phase, as evidence from his recently denied NCAA transfer status
- Former-Indiana recruit Rob Patterson is going to attend Brewster Academy. This, coming just a week after the rising freshman guard was denied eligibility. The Hoosiers have already overbooked their class of 2013, so it is unlikely that Patterson will head to Bloomington after his year at the New Hampshire prep school
- This Kentucky-related topic got much less chatter than I expected. Rant Sports, the site that published the original post, went back to the same subject later in the day without referencing the conversation-starter or the reaction at all
- Aaron and Andrew Harrison, the most popular package of twin recruits since the Wear Bros. have set their announcement date for October 29. It’s either going to be Kentucky (#BBN) or Maryland (Under Armor) ?
- Hilariously-Awesome-Post-of-the-Day: Colorado bloggers had a Q&A session with the french broadcasters provided the radio call for the Buffs’ recent exhibition games
- Tom Crean snapped a photo with Young Jeezy? That’s trill
- Basketball hoops made out of yarn. Weird
Remember, if you find an article that is worthy of being in The Morning Mix, be sure to use the #ReadoftheDay hashtag on Twitter.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte