Aug 23, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT
One of the better point guards in the 2013 class is on the move, as Shane Rector (Bronx, NY) is transferring from St. Raymond’s High to South Kent (CT) for his senior campaign.
The news was first reported by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv and Rector will be joined in that back court by 2013 shooting guard Kamall Richards, who played at St. Benedict’s Prep last season.
Rector played this spring and summer for Playaz Basketball Club (New Jersey), averaging 16.7 points and shooting 46% from beyond the arc in games leading up to the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam.
Rector’s shown some improvement shooting the ball from the perimeter, and as a result he received more attention from schools over the course of the summer.
“Shane is a high-level point guard who really handles the ball,” said South Kent head coach Kelvin Jefferson in an interview with SNY.tv.
“He uses his ball-handling skills to get anywhere on the court that he needs to and makes everybody around him better.”
Rector has received high-major interest and currently holds offers from Dayton, Hofstra, Massachusetts and Providence according to Rivals.com.
Interestingly enough Rector had positive things to say about new St. Raymond’s head coach Jorge Rivera last month at the Nike Peach Jam, saying that he liked Rivera’s coaching style.
But for whatever reason he’s headed to South Kent instead of playing for his freshman team coach, and the Ravens now have to account for the loss of a player expected to lead them this winter.
Photo credit: Denis Gostev/NY Post
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires