Aug 23, 2012, 12:02 AM EDT
After Tim Miles took the Nebraska job, it was easy to wonder how he was planning to upgrade the talent level in Lincoln. With outstanding facilities balanced by a lack of a nature recruiting ground, the Huskers’ aren’t exactly a destination location.
Some insight was provided as Miles named former Saint Louis assistant coach Chris Harriman to his staff, a native Australian who is noted for overseas recruiting prowess. As Harriman was hired, it became apparent that at least one or two of the new players that would end up at Nebraska would be international prospects in the 2013 class.
Harriman and Nebraska struck on Tuesday with a key international pledge, landing a pledge from 6-2 point guard Tai Webster, according to multiple reports. As a 17 year old player on New Zealand’s National Team, Webster put up compelling stats in a FIBA Olympic qualifying tournament, with 13 points per game and 52 percent shooting. Webster also has some boosters among those that watch basketball on a global level, and he is said to be an instant impact recruit at Nebraska.
Webster is great pickup, if he lives up to his advance billing. He’s part of a solid three man class that have all committed to Nebraska in less than two weeks, joining wings Nick Fuller and Nathan Hawkins. Fuller is the best candidate to be the recipient of some of Webster’s passes, as he is a knock down shooter off the catch and a top-150 player nationally. There’s significant geographic diversity, as Fuller hails from Wisconsin and Hawkins is a Texas native.
Miles still has some scholarship room to work with in the 2013 class, and he did pick up his share of high-profile transfers at Colorado State. He’s made no secret of attempting to make inroads in Chicago, and there’s always an international sleeper or two to be found. If Miles can get talent on campus to see the sparkling facilities, there’s a decent chance that he’ll have the talent incoming to put the program on the upswing in the treacherous ranks of the Big Ten.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)