Aug 25, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
Kansas commit Conner Frankamp won the Three-Point Contest and undecided 2013 prospect Julius Randle won the Dunk Contest on Day 1 of the festivities at the Under Armour Elite 24 in Venice Beach, Calif., Friday.
Frankamp, the 6-0, 155-pound Kansas native, was the favorite coming into the competition and shot with the confidence to match.
He posted a score of 17 in the semifinals to advance to the finals against last-minute Elite 24 add-in Rashad Vaughn of Minneapolis, Minn.
Frankamp then posted an impressive score of 19 in the finals against Vaughn to take home the title.
As for the dunk contest, the finals came down to rising sophomore Jamar Ergas, a Canadian native, and Randle, a top-3 player in the Class of 2013 and native of Plano, Texas.
With no time limit in the final round, it took Ergas a number of tries to get a dunk down off a pass from fellow Canadian Tyler Ennis.
Then Randle, a veteran in the Elite 24 after having competed in this event last year, almost casually got a running start toward the basket, put the ball behind his back from right to left, and threw it down with his left hand.
He scored a perfect 50 and took home the dunk contest championship.
After the competition in an interview with ESPN, Randle did not disclose many details about leaders in his recruitment or the definitive schedule of his official visits.
He has high-major interest across the country from schools that include Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Texas, and a long list of others.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)