Aug 26, 2012, 11:49 PM EDT
With Kevin Dillard, who earned second team All-Atlantic 10 honors last season, entering his senior campaign Dayton head coach Archie Miller needed to land a point guard in the 2013 class.
5-11 Freshman Khari Price could earn some playing time as Dillard’s backup this season, but outside of him the Flyers didn’t have much to lean on in regards to 2013.
That changed on Sunday evening as it was announced that 6-1 Chicago native Kyle Davis verbally committed to the Atlantic 10 school.
Kyle Davis just committed to Dayton ...on the phone with him now story in a few—
Cavan Walsh (@cavwalsh) August 27, 2012
Davis will play his senior season at Morgan Park High School alongside 2013 DePaul commit Billy Garrett Jr., transferring there from Hyde Park High in February according to Cavan Walsh of ChicagoHoops.com.
In an interview with Brian Snow of Scout.com, Davis cited both the fact that Dillard is graduating and the style of play as reasons for his decision.
He continued, “I committed to Dayton because after sitting down with my family and talking to Coach Nick (Irvin), the decision was based on which school was best for me. They play my style of play and I have the opportunity to come in and do big things because they lose their starting point guard Kevin Dillard.”
Davis is Dayton’s first 2013 commitment, and they have Ohio State transfer Jordan Sibert who will have two years of eligibility beginning with that season as well.
Davis also held offers from Colorado State, Illinois State, Marquette, Nebraska, Northwestern, Tennessee, UIC and Xavier according to Rivals.com.
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 10
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot