Aug 26, 2012, 1:18 PM EST
Top-100 prospect Kris Jenkins of Gonzaga College High School (D.C.) has committed to Villanova, he announced on the In and Out of Sports radio show Sunday afternoon.
Jenkins, a 6-5, 250-pound native of Washington, D.C., is an undersized big man who has the bulk down low to rebound at a high level, despite his lack of height.
Prior to his commitment, Jenkins had narrowed his list to include Villanova, Rutgers, Miami, Clemson, and Xavier.
For coach Jay Wright and Villanova, Jenkins is the first commitment from the Class of 2013, an important year for the Wildcats on the recruiting front.
There has been some shuffling in Philadelphia recently, as the Wildcats hired Team Takeover AAU and Paul VI (Va.) coach Doug Williams as an assistant, but inaccuracies in his resume forced him to resign.
Villanova responded, though, by hiring Washington assistant Raphael Chillious, a man with strong ties to the prep basketball scene having been at South Kent School in Connecticut.
While at Washington, Chillious took the lead on the recruiting trail and with player development.
Villanova finished with an overall record of 13-19, including 5-13 in the Big East.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)