Aug 26, 2012, 1:18 PM EST
Top-100 prospect Kris Jenkins of Gonzaga College High School (D.C.) has committed to Villanova, he announced on the In and Out of Sports radio show Sunday afternoon.
Jenkins, a 6-5, 250-pound native of Washington, D.C., is an undersized big man who has the bulk down low to rebound at a high level, despite his lack of height.
Prior to his commitment, Jenkins had narrowed his list to include Villanova, Rutgers, Miami, Clemson, and Xavier.
For coach Jay Wright and Villanova, Jenkins is the first commitment from the Class of 2013, an important year for the Wildcats on the recruiting front.
There has been some shuffling in Philadelphia recently, as the Wildcats hired Team Takeover AAU and Paul VI (Va.) coach Doug Williams as an assistant, but inaccuracies in his resume forced him to resign.
Villanova responded, though, by hiring Washington assistant Raphael Chillious, a man with strong ties to the prep basketball scene having been at South Kent School in Connecticut.
While at Washington, Chillious took the lead on the recruiting trail and with player development.
Villanova finished with an overall record of 13-19, including 5-13 in the Big East.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 12
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)