Aug 26, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Top-100 prospect Kris Jenkins of Gonzaga College High School (D.C.) has committed to Villanova, he announced on the In and Out of Sports radio show Sunday afternoon.
Jenkins, a 6-5, 250-pound native of Washington, D.C., is an undersized big man who has the bulk down low to rebound at a high level, despite his lack of height.
Prior to his commitment, Jenkins had narrowed his list to include Villanova, Rutgers, Miami, Clemson, and Xavier.
For coach Jay Wright and Villanova, Jenkins is the first commitment from the Class of 2013, an important year for the Wildcats on the recruiting front.
There has been some shuffling in Philadelphia recently, as the Wildcats hired Team Takeover AAU and Paul VI (Va.) coach Doug Williams as an assistant, but inaccuracies in his resume forced him to resign.
Villanova responded, though, by hiring Washington assistant Raphael Chillious, a man with strong ties to the prep basketball scene having been at South Kent School in Connecticut.
While at Washington, Chillious took the lead on the recruiting trail and with player development.
Villanova finished with an overall record of 13-19, including 5-13 in the Big East.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)