Aug 27, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Mark Lyons will be one of the most important players in the country this season.
The Xavier transfer will be spending his final year of eligibility at Arizona, playing the point for the first time in his collegiate career while leading a team desperately in need of a distributor. The Wildcats are talented, but incredibly young, and they are looking to Lyons to become the glue that holds it all together.
And it looks like things are heading in the right direction.
“He fits in great,” senior Solomon Hill told Bruce Pascoe of the Arizona Daily Star. “He’s as verbal was MoMo (Jones, former UA guard) was, very verbal and making sure everybody is on point. And he’s a guy who’s been there. He can control egos. He can keep guys in line.
“I think some of the guys will understand the type of guy he is – he’s not yelling at you to get you mad or trying to get on your bad side. He’s yelling at you because he sees a good player in you.”
It will be interesting to see what happens with Lyons. Part of the reason that he left Xavier was the result of some disciplinary stuff off the floor. On the court, he was always more of a chucker than a point guard. Does he benefit from a new locale? Will playing for the coach that recruited him to Xavier get him rededicated? Will a final opportunity to become an NBA Draft pick play a role?
Regardless, the early reviews are promising.
- Report: Rutgers AD inflicted “mental cruelty” in her own coaching days 0
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?